ADVERTISEMENT

This week in the Western Division

gvgrizzlyfan

Aug 15, 2005
QuarterfinalsGame 9: Calabasas (CA) at Lawndale (CA) (Friday, November 20th, 7:30pm) [projection: Calabasas (CA) 34-21]
Game 10: Oxnard (CA) at Redondo (Redondo Beach, CA) (Friday, November 20th, 7:00pm) [projection: Redondo (Redondo Beach, CA) 27-17]
Game 11: North (Torrance, CA) at Mira Costa (Manhattan Beach, CA) (Friday, November 20th, 7:00pm) [projection: Mira Costa (Manhattan Beach, CA) 31-20]
Game 12: Palos Verdes (Palos Verdes Estates, CA) at Pacifica (Oxnard, CA) (Friday, November 20th, 7:00pm) [projection: Palos Verdes (Palos Verdes Estates, CA) 20-14]

I don't have any keen insight on the remaining games having seen only Lawndale. Otherwise I have just been watching the scores mostly of the southern leagues, but I am aware of a little of the northern leagues in this division, by score results.

Good luck Lawndale. Lawndale is pretty much a one trick pony with talented QB Chris Murray. An adequate passer but an outstanding runner. If Calabasas keeps him contained, and it sounds like they have the talent to do that against anybody in this division, then the Coyotes should be able exceed that score projection. Lawndale's Murray has a bit of a better supporting cast this year with the transfers they received from Santa Monica, but it just won't be enough against this loaded Calabasas team.

Not sure if I agree with the Redondo 10 point spread win projection. I think Oxnard coach John Mack might be able to surprise in this one. Redondo has been pretty stingy on defense this year but not sure if they have faced any team playing the Oxnard run formation offense. Be careful though, if Oxnard is successful moving the ball on the ground, their QB is talented enough to trip you up with some play action passes.
It is difficult to go against the computer projections at this point of the season but I would call this more a toss up.

Game of the week in the Western Division this week should be Mira Costa hosting North Torrance. North is another team leaning heavily on one particular talented athlete in QB/LB Mekhi Juarez, a lock to play division 1 football. Mira Costa probably lacks the talent that Calabasas has to stop a threat like Juarez completely, but Costa does usually have some size and usually among the most talented public schools in the south bay so I am just not sure what to think in this one. North rarely has had a year recently in which they had the talent to compete at Mira Costa's level, but with Juarez, this year may be the exception. The computer projection is for an 11 point spread win for Costa, but I think this one too could down to the wire.

Pacifica hosts Palos Verdes in what the computer projection has listed as its closest game, a 6 point spread win for PV. Not sure I see it that close. Pacifica was the recipient of a 6 turnover game from Culver City last week and I don't think PV will be that gracious. The Pacifica QB has some basic skills both throwing and running when necessary, but the slim junior might want to be careful venturing outside the pocket of his hefty line. The Pacifica running backs have some speed but I don't think it will be enough against PV's very sturdy defense. I think PV by 2 TD's in an otherwise low scoring game. Perhaps 21-7.

Reactions: simidave
Not sure if I agree with the Redondo 10 point spread win projection. I think Oxnard coach John Mack might be able to surprise in this one. Redondo has been pretty stingy on defense this year but not sure if they have faced any team playing the Oxnard run formation offense. Be careful though, if Oxnard is successful moving the ball on the ground, their QB is talented enough to trip you up with some play action passes.
It is difficult to go against the computer projections at this point of the season but I would call this more a toss up.

I didn't realize Jon Mack was at Oxnard. i remember his great years at St. Bonaventure, then he went to Crespi or Notre Dame. Where was he after that?

He may have gone from Crespi, to Oxnard, perhaps with a year or two off as well. I am wondering if he may stay in place for a while. If he has a teaching position in the district, perhaps he is ready for the stability of a public school job where you don't have to play the private school shenanigans with their boosters. He has been their and done that. I would imagine that Oxnard would love him to stay put and he does seem to have deep Ventura County connections.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT