ADVERTISEMENT

Torrey Pines defeats Mission Hills

dawrestling

May 20, 2007
2nd half touchdowns by Luke Duerr and Sully O Brien pace Torrey Pines in 33-14 win

By David A. Willauer-Contributing Writer

-Mission Hills High School-San Marcos, CA-Friday, October 28, 2016:

Torrey Pines 33, Mission Hills 14

The Falcons of Torrey Pines High School improved their record to 7-2 on the season as they broke a 14-14 tie on Gabe Gmyr's 30 yard run to tie the game and went ahead on Luke Duerr's 2nd touchdown run of 1 yard.

Duerr had 25 carries for 113 yards and also scored on a 5 yard run, which was followed by a safety for 2 points. Nino Alworth, the grandson of former Chargers wide receiver Lance Alworth, connected on a 39 yard field goal. Sully O'Brien had 17 carries for 87 yards and scored on a 5 yard touchdown run.

Torrey Pines head football coach Rod Gladnick: "I felt this game as I felt about the Oceanside contest. As strong as we are, we physically controlled the line of scrimmage and the clock. We are in the best shape of any team in San Diego County."

"We wanted to turn this game into a dogfight; our kids played their hearts out. At halftime I felt that the tide was starting to go our way, and in the third quarter when we came out our offense held the ball for 9 minutes. We drove 80 yards with 20 plays and punched the touchdown in." said Coach Gladnick.

"Our defense played better as our team improves every week. Luke Duerr has been a tremendous player for us. We ran the Wing T and our offense is hard to stop. Junior Sully O'Brien is improving each game and our whole football team is coming on. We have 3 underclassman on our offensive line but we gained 300 yards today and in the last 4 games we had a total of 1200 yards," said Coach Gladnick.

Mission Hills (6-3) was led by Sam Dixon as he carried the ball 10 carries for 114 yards and scored on an 8 yard touchdown run. Quarterback Jack Tuttle had 6 carries for 12 yards and scored on a 1 yard run.

Last edited by a moderator:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT