ADVERTISEMENT

So who is going to the playoffs in Division 11?

gvgrizzlyfan

Aug 15, 2005
I know, it is WAY early for this, but based upon the calpreps ratings, which can still fluctuate some, it looks like you will need to finish first or second in your league to guarantee your team a playoff spot in Division 11. Some third place teams are likely to get in but possibly not all of them. There are 37 teams in D-11 with only 16 playoff spots.

Biggest surprises might be that currently 20th rated Katella is a lock to finish first in their league and be in the playoffs. Other teams likely to finish first are Rancho Mirage, Arroyo of El Monte, Westminster (although they are by no means a lock on first OR 2nd), Hillcrest of Riverside and Pacific of San Bernardino.

Second place teams could be Culver City, Arcadia, Covina, St. Genevieve, Victor Valley, Crean Lutheran, Oak Park and currently 18th rated Jurupa Hills (1-2). I consider Crean Lutheran and Jurupa Hills to be locks to finish 2cnd in their leagues.

That leaves 14 of 16 playoff spots filled with as many as 4 other D-11 teams finishing third in a qualifying league.

Ontario Christian, Segerstrom and 28th rated Rancho Alamitos (1-1) of Garden Grove all currently project to third place finishes in qualifying leagues with 33rd ranked Ramona (2-1) of Riverside having an outside shot at finishing in a qualifying third place. Lakeside also projects to an outside chance at finishing third, but any at-large hopes for the playoffs will likely not happen in D-11.

So my advice to coaches and players in D-11: plan to finish in 2nd or better. That is the only way to lock in a playoff spot before tiebreakers may need to be used in consideration for which team makes the playoffs from third place.

Reactions: Dave Keefer
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT