ADVERTISEMENT

San Marcos defeats Vista in Division I Quarter Final San Diego Section Game

dawrestling

May 20, 2007
By David A. Willauer-Contributing Writer

-Excalibur Field-San Marcos High School

In the opening round of the 2016 high school football season on August 26, 2016, head coach David Bottom made his debut at Vista and lost to the Knights of San Marcos by a 37-13 score at Dick Haines Stadium at Vista High School.

And today it was still the same story. The Knights jumped out to a 17-0 lead on Kyle Webb's fumble recovery in the end zone, Myles Liss's 20 yard field goal and a Colin Mathiszik 57 yard fumble recovery to go up 17-0.

The Panthers of Vista came back as quarterback Josh Davies (6 completions out of 10 attempts for 110 yards) threw an 82 yard touchdown pass to Carlos Rodriguez (2 receptions for 86 yards) and Nick Stormo (6 carries for 61 yards) scored on a 40 yard touchdown run to cut the Knight lead at 17-13. The PAT failed on the second touchdown.

San Marcos scored 2 more touchdowns as Bryson Bolin ran for a 10 yard touchdown while teammate Tylee Hodson scored on a 19 yarder to make the final score 31-13. Bolin ended up passing 10 completions out of 19 attempts for 180 yards and carrying the ball 6 times for 22 yards.

Tyler Rogers led the Knights in rushing with 26 carries for 112 yards.

Jason Texler Head Football Coach at San Marcos on the win: "Vista is a young athletic team. We started out well on defense but struggled on offense. However, our guys came back and got it done when Vista came within 4 at 17-13.

"Along with playing a ten game schedule, it is hard to play Vista the second time. They gave us quite a battle; I give credit to my players. Tyler Rogers, Josh Bornes and Bryson Bolin all did well today but this was a team effort."

With the win 4th seed San Marcos improve to 7-4 and will next take on the top seed Warhawks of Madison High School at 9-2 in a semi final round contest at Madison.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Dave Keefer
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT