ADVERTISEMENT

Rancho Bernardo defeats Mission Hills

dawrestling

May 20, 2007
By David A. Willauer-Contributing Writer
Mission Hills High School-San Marcos, CA
Rancho Bernardo High School improved their record to 6-0 and honored one of their late former assistant football coaches in Gary Stempson as they defeated the 4-2 Grizzlies of Mission Hills by a 34-20 score.

The Broncos jumped jumped out to a 7-0 lead on an Anthony Walsh interception for 37 yards. The Grizzlies came back to tie the game at 7-7 as QB John Tuttle (17 completions out of 35 attempts for 285 yards) threw a 8 yard pass to Sam Cooke.

The Broncos went ahead 14-7 on a Christian Lewis (7 completions out of 15 attempts for 108 yards) 21 yard pass to Malcolm Ross Turner (8 receptions for 79 yards).

The Grizzlies came back on 2 Eric Cavatano field goals of 40 yards to make it 14-13.

In the fourth quarter, the Broncos scored 2 more touchdowns by Kaelan Pistano of 1 and 25 yards to take a 27-13 lead.

Mission Hills last touchdown came as Tuttle threw his second touchdown pass of 80 yards to Christian Esqueda (9 receptions for 71 yards).

Milan Grice (29 carries for 132 yards rushing) scored the clinching touchdown on an 8 yard run to make the final score Rancho Bernardo 34 Mission Hills 20.

Rancho Bernardo Head Football Coach Tristan McCoy: " I'm proud of our kids right now. We knew this was our big game. We circled it on our schedule and have prepared for it all year."

"Coming into the game today we had 2 injuries 1 to my starting qb and 1 to my starting tackle. I challenged the kids to think of a way to defeat Mission Hills which has an outstanding caliber program. I'm proud of how we played" said Coach McCoy.

"When we led 14-13 it was a back and forth game as the offense did well, and I am proud of our defense on how we played. We got our first pick six in the first period, we made some special team goofs but we just had to play our game."

"Milan Grice is a warrior, is physical and runs hard."

"The late Gary Stempson who passed away of cancer last weekend was a true Bronco. He opened the school back when I played there. He coached the freshman team and was a super loyal Bronco fan."

Rancho Bernardo will host Vista on Friday October 14th at 7:00 pm while Mission Hills will host La Costa Canyon on Friday kickoff is at 7:00 pm.

Last edited by a moderator:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT