ADVERTISEMENT

Ocean League week 5 postgame, league play week 1 preview

gvgrizzlyfan

Aug 15, 2005
Ocean League favorites, the Lawndale Cardinals took care of business in their final preleague game against Torrance, beating them 42-0. From the Daily Breeze:

http://www.dailybreeze.com/2017/09/...s-offense-strikes-it-big-in-rout-of-torrance/

The Cardinal offense may have been a little lethargic, waiting for the big play to score on several instances. Their defense was impressive albeit against the snail pace Torrance ball control wing T offense, holding them to 53 yards rushing & passing.

Lawndale opens league play against the Santa Monica (1-4) Vikings. The Vikings registered their first victory (26-0) of the season a week ago against lowly South Torrance. They have 2 weeks to prepare for Lawndale, but Samo has shown only limited abilities and Lawndale may come with a little extra motivation after playing without enthusiasm against Torrance and this coming week being the first league contest. This should be a slam dunk easy victory for Lawndale.

I will predict a 56-0 Lawndale victory.

Culver City (5-0) travels to the El Segundo (5-0) Eagles for the Ocean League game of the week. See my Culver write up for last week's action for Culver. El Segundo dominated lowly South Torrance last week 49-0. It was the usual combination of well balanced offense with solid defense. El Segundo has not given up more than 18 points in any one game and the Centaurs have not scored less than 30 in a game. The Centaur D will have to find a way to slow the Eagle O & give opportunities for the the Centaurs high powered air raid offense to score. This is probably the Eagle D's toughest challenge so far this season. In an admittedly homer prediction by me,

I will pick the Centaurs to win in a 38-31 contest.

Both Hawthorne (4-1) and Beverly Hills (0-5) had last week off so no excuses about preparation for either team. While Hawthorne looks impressive by its record, it has been against weak competition except for the 55-14 shellacking they took from Leuzinger (2-3) last week. The good news is that Beverly Hills is similar, if not worse, than the prior 4 opponents that Hawthorne faced and vanquished easily.

I will predict a 46-7 Hawthorne victory.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dave Keefer
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT