ADVERTISEMENT

Division 11, week 4 preview

gvgrizzlyfan

Aug 15, 2005
The top five teams in Division 11 are aligned the same in both the CIFss D-11 poll & the calpreps.com ratings.

#1 is Culver City (3-0). See my post on Culver City for details. Should be an easy victory this week. https://californiapreps.forums.rivals.com/threads/culver-city-post-game-3-week-4-preview.4129/

#2 is Arroyo (4-0) of El Monte. This should be the second easiest game of the season for Arroyo as they open league play at home against Gabrielino (1-2). Gabrielino was only able to muster 16 points in their win against horrible Sierra Vista (0-3) and scored 7 each in their two losses. Arroyo has scored no less than 28 in each game, all against tougher teams.

I am projecting a 56-0 Arroyo win.

#3 Rancho Mirage (3-1) gets a week off to collect itself and figure out what went wrong against a tough Palm Desert (3-1) that beat them 21-24.

#4 Arcadia (1-2) had a bye last week before they start Pacific league play this week against Muir (2-1). Currently, Arcadia projects to finish second and Muir third in the Pacific league so this is a key matchup. One of the big Division 11 games this week. Both teams have played La Salle (2-2) with Arcadia beating them 20-10 in their opener and Muir losing last week 21-20. Muir rallied from 21-6 to score twice in the fourth quarter including the TD to make it 21-20 with about a minute to go in the game. Muir attempted a 2 point conversion that failed. Muir had 2 turnovers that hurt them badly. Muir was able to stuff any La Salle run game but the turnovers and the La Salle passing game were trouble. A win for Arcadia establishes them as league favorites for second place and a playoff spot, but the two teams to follow Muir also are potential trap games. If Arcadia can throw the ball well, they should win. Muir could have come away with a victory, so I expect this game to be close with a LOT of meaning for both teams.

I will predict a 21-13 Arcadia victory.

#5 Segerstrom (3-1) of Santa Ana, should have an easy game this week against Northwood (1-3) of Irvine. Northwood's only victory was a squeaker against a bad Valley High (0-4) of Santa Ana. Northwood has shown trouble scoring against quality opponents while Segerstrom has had some ability to score against weaker opponents.

I will project a 39-7 Segerstrom victory.

#6 Ontario Christian(4-0) has rode a string of light opponents, including a couple of cream puffs, to their undefeated point in the preleague season. They rode the strength of their running game to a 27-17 victory over a lightly regarded Bishop. Their passing game looks like an Achilles heel right now. Senior QB Kevin Jack is an effective thrower for OC but did not play the whole game last week and the other QB was ineffective. They will need a healthy Jack to compete this week. Reality strikes this week and they will NOT be undefeated any longer as they travel to Valley Christian(2-2) of Cerritos. VC beat a decent Rancho Christian(2-2) of Temecula last week 62-32. VC was able to run & throw the ball last week against RC with senior QB Isaac Joseph going 9 of 11 for 215 & 4 TD's. The running game was also stout with senior Gianni Hurd leading the way with 221 yards on just 11 carries and 4 TD's. They had 328 yards rushing overall. OC has been able to play a little D against lesser opponents. OC will have the week off after this game and then head into league play. This sets OC up well to be prepared for the tougher games in their league and maybe steal second place from Notre Dame(2-2) of Riverside.

I will project a 21-42 loss for Ontario Christian. It could be worse if OC QB Kevin Jack is not healthy.

#7 is where the CIFss poll and calpreps.com start to slightly differ. Calpreps has Covina(3-1) at #7 while the CIFss poll has them at #9. Covina takes on another lightweight this week, on the road against Walnut(1-3). Covina won easily at home last week against a similarly rated opponent Montclair(2-1) by a score of 49-20.

I will project similar this week. Covina wins 49-21.

#8 in the calpreps ratings is Hillcrest(3-1) of Riverside. They are #7 if the CIFss poll for D-11. Hillcrest has a fairly soft schedule, but among the softies, this might be their second toughest opponent they are facing, on the road against Temescal Canyon(2-2) of Lake Elsinore. TC relies mostly on the strength of their running game and has had 3 different guys taking reps at QB, with some level of modest success. It will likely not be enough against Ontario Christian.

I will project a 21-14 Hillcrest victory.

#9 is Lakeside(4-0) of Lake Elsinore, in the calpreps.com ratings, but they are #8 if the CIFss poll. Lakeside plays in the tough Sunbelt League along with Temescal Canyon. While currently projecting to finish ahead of Temescal Canyon, Lakeside is unlikely to rise above 4th in league and will have to hope for an unlikely at-large playoff berth. They did not do that well last week against lightweight Orange Vista((1-3) of Perris, escaping with a 34-28 victory. Fortunately, this weeks opponent, Vista del Lago(0-3) of Moreno Valley, is even weaker. Lakeside will get a week off after this game to enjoy their undefeated preleague performance and two weeks to prepare to get snuffed by powerhouse Heritage(4-0) of Romoland.

I will project a 34-7 Lakeside victory.

#10 in the calpreps ratings is Crean Lutheran(2-2) of Irvine. The CIFss picked Pacific(4-0) of San Bernardino as their #10 team. CL gets one of their 3 Academy league games a little early as they face lowly St. Pius X-St. Matthias Academy(1-3) of Downey. SPSM might be a little more dangerous than I thought as they were able to play Cantwell-Sacred Heart(3-0) of Montebello to a 32-31 loss last week. 4 interceptions and 2 lost fumbles by CSH might have helped make it interesting. I still think CL should win this one easily.

I will project a 42-14 Crean Lutheran victory.

Pacific(4-0) of San Bernardino deserves mention being #10 in the CIFss poll & rated #12 by calpreps. They managed to schedule a team even softer than all of their prior preleague opponents in getting Bloomington(1-2) to come visit. Pacific somehow managed to play down to the level of West Valley(0-4) of Hemet last week coming away with just a 20-10 win against team they were expected to blow out. Pacific was trailing 10-6 at the end of the third quarter. Does not look like there were any significant personnel changes at the skill positions. West Valley does project to be their toughest opponent they have faced so far. I will expect Pacific to rebound because of the weakness of their opponent.

I will project a 42-6 Pacific win.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dave Keefer
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT