ADVERTISEMENT

Culver City, the Ocean League and Division 11bracket predictions

gvgrizzlyfan

Aug 15, 2005
The Culver City Centaurs ultimately took care of business by beating the Santa Monica Vikings (4-5, 1-3) 56-20. But Santa Monica kept the game in doubt until late in the first half when they finally fell behind 35-14. They still made it interesting after the half, scoring their final TD to close to within 35-20 early in the second half. Centaur QB Jonathan Martin threw for 5 TD's for the high octane Culver offense. (Culver is now 6-3 overall and 3-1 in league in a 3 way tie for first place.

El Segundo (8-1, 3-1) beat Hawthorne 35-7 in a battle of other first place teams, moving Hawthorne (3-6, 2-2) down into fourth place in the Ocean League, out of a guaranteed playoff spot. Hawthorne, although possessing some talent, was not expected to break through against the top three in this league. Unfortunately, they must face Lawndale (5-4, 3-1) next week in another expected loss.

The Lawndale win this week against lowly Beverly Hills (0-9) by a score of 67-0 allowed them to stay tied for first place and things are not likely to change this week as the three top teams are all solid favorites.

Culver City will face Beverly Hills this week. Poor Beverly Hills projects as the 14th worst team in the entire Southern Section. That is not likely to help CC prepare for the playoffs.

Division 11 Playoff Projections:

The playoff possibilities are getting clearer in D-11 and I will make a projection of my bracket for D-11.

Katella (9-0) should get to the playoffs undefeated and secure the top seed. I attempted to regionalize the playoffs a bit, but that left me with Westminster (5-4, 3-1) playing Katella in the opening round, and Katella beat them in a preseason game this year so I am not sure if the CIF will do that or not.

Montebello (8-1, 4-0) is the next highest rated 1st place team so I am guessing they will end up with the second seed and I am guessing that Oak Park (6-3, 1-1) will get in as an At Large team and will have to face Montebello.

Bishop Montgomery (6-3, 3-0) will be the last of the first place teams making the D-11 playoffs, but their record and weaker South Catholic League should hold them down to the number three seed. I am placing them against Crean Lutheran (7-2). a freelance team that I think can still squeeze into the playoffs as an at-large entry.

Victor Valley (8-2, 3-1), gets my 4th seed based upon power ratings and a second place in league finish. I am projecting Ontario Christian (6-3, 3-1) as their likely opponent.

I am projecting that Coachella Valley (6-3, 2-2) should do well enough to draw an opening round home game against Ramona (7-1-1, 3-1).

Jurupa Hills (6-3, 4-0) projects to be the next team to get a home playoff game. But they're not likely to win this week so they will be unable to secure first place, nor even second depending on how playoff position in league is determined.

I believe Culver City can still get picked for an opening round home game, even if they are not designated as the first or second place team from the Ocean League. I project Quartz Hill (6-3, 4-2) to be their opponent.

My final home team for round one is Arcadia (8-1, 5-1) and they could face Valley View (5-4, 2-2)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Dave Keefer
I see I forgot to mention a projected opponent for Jurupa Hills. I am projecting Covina (6-3, 3-1) will travel to Jurupa Hills for the opening round of the playoffs.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT