ADVERTISEMENT

Culver City, the Ocean League and Division 11

gvgrizzlyfan

Aug 15, 2005
Culver City was able to wear out Hawthorne in their 62-35 victory at Hawthorne. Everytime Hawthorne would muster a score, CC would just respond with another. Hawthorne closed to within 8 points in the second half but CC scored 20 points in the final quarter compared to Hawthorne's one 4th quarter TD.

Culver City also managed to slip into a three way tie for first place in the Ocean League when El Segundo played excellent D and a savvy game plan to beat 1st place Lawndale 14-7 to force the three way tie.

Santa Monica (4-4, 1-2) beat Beverly Hills (0-8) in the battle to stay out of the cellar. Culver (5-3, 2-1) hosts Santa Monica next week.

I am not sure how playoff slots are determined or if they even matter anymore than being in one of the qualifying spots. These will be the three playoff teams from the Ocean League, providing there are enough slots left for whichever team gets slated as the #3 playoff, if they are even doing that this year.

I know the 6 team Ocean League should likely be only allowed 3 playoff teams, but the three are all in different divisions so I don't know if they can just consider all three as tied for first for playoff purposes, something two of three schools would certainly like, or they have to assign them a playoff slot 1, 2 or third for the purposes of playoff selection. 1st place teams being selected first, then 2nd etc. Even if Culver ends up in a third place playoff spot, I anticipate that being good enough to get them into the playoffs and perhaps still draw a first round home game.

The playoff picture is starting to get a little clearer and it looks like there will be only four 1st place teams in the D-11 playoffs. They should be Katella (8-0), Montebello (7-1, 3-0), Oak Park (6-2, 1-0) and Bishop Montgomery (5-3, 2-0). I am not sure whether Culver City will be considered a first place team or not. Then there will probably be only two 2nd place teams, Victor Valley (8-1, 3-0) and Coachella Valley (6-2, 2-1). There should be enough third place teams to fill out the rest of the playoff field of 16.

Teams on the bubble right now I would consider to be Heritage Christian (5-3, 1-1), Crean Lutheran (6-1) currently third in the D-11 CIF poll, Ontario Christian (5-3, 2-1) and Jurupa Hills (5-3, 3-0).

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Dave Keefer
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT