ADVERTISEMENT

Culver City, post week 2, pregame week 3

gvgrizzlyfan

Aug 15, 2005
The Culver City Centaurs defeated their week 2 opponent, Torrance, 48-20, at Torrance. The game was closer than the final score as Torrance scored first and was able to keep the high octane Culver air raid offense off the field for a good portion of the game. However, when the Centaur O got their chances, they usually made the most of them. Culver led just 13-7 at the half. CC struggled to contain the rushing game of their wing T opponent who featured FB Kyle Sell, 6'1", 225. He was a load to bring down, but was hampered for a portion of the game with what looked like some sort of leg injury that did not keep him out of the game, but may have limited his effectiveness at times. But I believe he may still have good rushing numbers.

Fortunately for CC, they were able to come up with enough stops to force Torrance to turn the ball over from time to time. When Culver got the ball, lightning often struck. QB Jonathan Martin had another big game, going 16 of 20 for 392 yards and 5 TD's with no interceptions. 7 different players caught balls from the Centaur QB with 4 different players scoring. Torrance did have an opportunity to grab a Culver pass or two but could not catch their opportunities. A dropped pass on offense could have helped them as well and they did have at least a couple of other successful passes. But the run game was the big problem for Culver. As Culver extended their lead in the second half, the chances of a comeback became more remote from that wing T offense. The Centaur rushing game had its moments too, collecting 138 yards rushing on just 12 carries. A 51 yard run by junior Joshua Ford was the highlight of the run game.

Culver is now 2-0 and will travel to yet another Pioneer League team, from Torrance (they are fairly close on the map), North Torrance (2-1) this Friday. They squeaked by LA City Banning 14-6 in week 0, lost 20-7 to Aliso Niguel on the road and embarrassed Bishop Montgomery 33-9 on Bishop's home field.

By calpreps.com power ratings, this should be the Centaurs toughest game so far, although I will be interested to see how the West Torrance vs North Torrance game turns out. North does not look as big as West or the Torrance Tartars, but the line looks like they block well and they can offset their running game with enough passing to keep you honest. The middle linebacker seems to be good at finding the seams in the middle to make tackles for little or no yardage. They have intercepted at least 5 passes so far this season so that should be an interesting challenge for the pass happy Centaurs. I am still picking my Centaurs to win.

Reactions: Dave Keefer
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT