ADVERTISEMENT

4 TD's by Christian Washington pace Helix to 10th CIF Title game over Lincoln

dawrestling

May 20, 2007
By David A. Willauer-Contributing Writer-Chick Embry Field at Wilson Stadium-Escondido High School-Escondido, CA-11-27-21: The Helix Highlanders known for their tradition athletic teams along with some of the players who played sports as in Heisman Trophy Winner Reggie Bush and Basketball Star Bill Walton again proved themselves on the astroturf on the facilities of Escondido High School tailback Christian Washington put on a show on the Chick Embry Field as he carried the ball for 183 yards along with 4 touchdowns runs of 3, 10, 2 ,after Lincoln fumbled the ball in their own territory and the Highlanders recovered, scored the game winning touchdown of 2 yards with 1:13 as they defeated the Lincoln Hornets in a well played game by a 28-21 score. QB Ryland Jessie threw for 180 yards for the Highlanders.

Helix Head Football Coach Robbie Owens: " Both teams have good tailbacks as you saw tonight, those guys were kind of featured as Christian Washington stepped up on offense and our defense made the key plays when they needed too." "We took care of the key turnovers it was a great game for us overall after we tied the game at 21-21 Christian Washington wanted to get the score back in our favor again as our defense did well on stopping their plays but offensively we tried to figure out what our responsibilities were as." "Roderick Robinson is a talented kid for Lincoln and did a good job at running the football we had to make adjustments I was proud of our defense how they stepped up did a good job at breaking their plays up. In the 2018 CIF Finals we lost to Saint Augustine's on that same play which has been on my mind but it's good to win the D I title this week and can't wait who we play in the states we have talked to the kids about the history of Helix's football and some great alumni that has come out of our school ."

Lincoln was led in rushing by Roderick Robinson as he carried the ball for 175 yards and scored on a 12 yard touchdown. QB Jalen Daniels threw for 152 yards with 2 touchdown passes of 43 yards to Makhi Gray (42 yards receiving) along with a 17 yarder to Jalil Florence.

Reactions: Dave Keefer
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT