ADVERTISEMENT

Why Certain Schools Are Ruining HS Football

raffidog123

Nov 11, 2018
St. Thomas Aquinas; IMG; Bishop Gorman; Mater Dei; St. John Bosco; what do they hae in common. Their blatant recruiting is ruining hs football.

I think it started after Bruce Rollison got tired of losing 4 years in a row to DLS. Now we see players transferring after their freshmen, sophomore, and sometimes junior years. MD ands sJB have led that charge. For all the talk of DLS recruiting, if that were true, the star qb of Liberty HS in the Bay Area would be the starting qb of DLS.

Watching last nights DLS/STA game, the announcers were gushing about the 20+ D-1 athletes on STA. Do you think these players live in wealthy Ft. Lauderdale, where STA is located?

These top tier schools need to tone down the recruiting.

Reactions: THEOC89
I’m on the fence about it.

On one hand you can partially blame some of these public school districts because they operate like the DMV. Regardless of ability, where would you rather send you kid, Century HS or Mater Dei? Corona-Norco USD is one of the few districts left that operates professionally. Do you think it’s a coincidence that district has multiple schools that are athletic powerhouses?

But then at the same time, the game has changed to a point schools are hiring street agent yahoos to recruit kids for them. Might not even know a lick about football but they know how to convince parents of Johnny Stud what school is best for them.

I'm a fence sitter too, and can see both sides.

I personally enjoy watching the best players, most athletic, etc. and marvel at their talent. Most of these types of players (and their parents!) want to play on teams where they can start and get maximum exposure. Hence, transfers and recruiting. They want what they think is best for them and their future.

But I also enjoy just as much watching two evenly-matched teams with "neighborhood" kids playing their hardest to help the local team win. The kids may not be as big and fast but they can play just as hard. One may stand out one game and a teammate will standout the next. And if one of these players has the talent to have a future in the game, he'll be seen.

I'm probably the oldest guy on this message board so I go way back. I grew up in a middle class suburb of a major city back east. As a middle schooler we had neighborhood kids play tackle football on our own (without pads or helmets) against other neighborhoods. (I broke my arm so can attest to the stupidity of no pads-but we had no funding).

There was no fame or fortune involved, just local pride. For basketball, the same sentiment prevailed and everybody enjoyed playing for their local school. My school was mediocre but we had talented players occasionally. One got a scholarship to Duke. My point being, you will be seen if you have talent.

But again I see both sides. Society has changed and most spectator folks enjoy watching/following powerhouses and highlight reels of individual prowess. I accept that but I hope the concept of loyalty to the local school never gets lost (and it won't). You can enjoy both approaches to the game.

Reactions: THEOC89
Recruiting is not limited to Mater Dei and Bosco.......ALL of the top programs do it!!

Ya it's interesting, I see both sides. I'm used to the gap between the elite and everyone else, now it seems like its 1/2 Mater Dei, Bosco and everyone else. De La Salle is solid this year but they average between 3-6 college guys a year, no where near those other schools. The Liberty QB you are referring to is Jay Butterfield, who is committed to Oregon. A 6'5 elite prostyle quarterback isn't running the vere and that's a problem for De La Salle in marquee games. They can't fall behind.

It goes in flows but the gap definitely seems noticeable this year.

Reactions: Dave Keefer
I’m on the fence about it.

On one hand you can partially blame some of these public school districts because they operate like the DMV. Regardless of ability, where would you rather send you kid, Century HS or Mater Dei? Corona-Norco USD is one of the few districts left that operates professionally. Do you think it’s a coincidence that district has multiple schools that are athletic powerhouses?

But then at the same time, the game has changed to a point schools are hiring street agent yahoos to recruit kids for them. Might not even know a lick about football but they know how to convince parents of Johnny Stud what school is best for them.

Wasn’t it just a couple years ago Centennial has about 5 incoming transfers from Upland denied by CIF? And it’s not like they don’t have some “interesting” transfers show up in Corona-Norco. Norco’s Illingsworth is on at least his 3rd school (Centennial, Villa Park), and Cen10’s Trillian Harris is on at least his 4th (Chaparral, RSM, Mission Viejo). If I remember right, one of Cen10’s leading receivers last year was a transfer from King. I don’t think anyone can say their league doesn’t recruit, but some are definitely more successful and obvious about it.

I'm a fence sitter too, and can see both sides.

I personally enjoy watching the best players, most athletic, etc. and marvel at their talent. Most of these types of players (and their parents!) want to play on teams where they can start and get maximum exposure. Hence, transfers and recruiting. They want what they think is best for them and their future.

But I also enjoy just as much watching two evenly-matched teams with "neighborhood" kids playing their hardest to help the local team win. The kids may not be as big and fast but they can play just as hard. One may stand out one game and a teammate will standout the next. And if one of these players has the talent to have a future in the game, he'll be seen.

I'm probably the oldest guy on this message board so I go way back. I grew up in a middle class suburb of a major city back east. As a middle schooler we had neighborhood kids play tackle football on our own (without pads or helmets) against other neighborhoods. (I broke my arm so can attest to the stupidity of no pads-but we had no funding).

There was no fame or fortune involved, just local pride. For basketball, the same sentiment prevailed and everybody enjoyed playing for their local school. My school was mediocre but we had talented players occasionally. One got a scholarship to Duke. My point being, you will be seen if you have talent.

But again I see both sides. Society has changed and most spectator folks enjoy watching/following powerhouses and highlight reels of individual prowess. I accept that but I hope the concept of loyalty to the local school never gets lost (and it won't). You can enjoy both approaches to the game.

so . . . how old are you ?

I think CIF did a good thing by dividing teams into divisions instead of placing them by league, now they need to take it a step further and have separate divisions for public and private like other states do. IMO this is a win win for everyone involved.

I think CIF did a good thing by dividing teams into divisions instead of placing them by league, now they need to take it a step further and have separate divisions for public and private like other states do. IMO this is a win win for everyone involved.
I understand the argument...however, I think it would be CIF’s way of admitting private schools are superior, parents would see this and flood the Mater Dei’s and Bosco’s of this world even more. I think it would turn the average neighborhood public school into a bigger athletic graveyard than it already is as they’d be stigmatized.

But at the same time that’s already happening as we speak. CIF is pretending it isn’t by doing nothing.

I think we can all agree a HUGE chunk of the equation is these parents who want to pimp their kids out to the best bidder and if things aren’t perfect, go find another school where they think the grass is greener.

Wasn’t it just a couple years ago Centennial has about 5 incoming transfers from Upland denied by CIF? And it’s not like they don’t have some “interesting” transfers show up in Corona-Norco. Norco’s Illingsworth is on at least his 3rd school (Centennial, Villa Park), and Cen10’s Trillian Harris is on at least his 4th (Chaparral, RSM, Mission Viejo). If I remember right, one of Cen10’s leading receivers last year was a transfer from King. I don’t think anyone can say their league doesn’t recruit, but some are definitely more successful and obvious about it.

Harris is at colony, not centennial

Reactions: MURVALDAD
Again I will say ALL the top programs, as well as others recruit!!!!
There's a difference between passively recruiting a few kids and scholar shipping and busing all star caliber kids to schools 40 miles away from 3 different counties.

I understand the argument...however, I think it would be CIF’s way of admitting private schools are superior, parents would see this and flood the Mater Dei’s and Bosco’s of this world even more. I think it would turn the average neighborhood public school into a bigger athletic graveyard than it already is as they’d be stigmatized.

But at the same time that’s already happening as we speak. CIF is pretending it isn’t by doing nothing.

I think we can all agree a HUGE chunk of the equation is these parents who want to pimp their kids out to the best bidder and if things aren’t perfect, go find another school where they think the grass is greener.
I think mostly all the elite kids that are gonna go to the privates are already going there. If it did cause a flood of kids to leave public schools that would force the schools to improve how they approach athletics, even better!

I think mostly all the elite kids that are gonna go to the privates are already going there. If it did cause a flood of kids to leave public schools that would force the schools to improve how they approach athletics, even better!
Yea but you and I both know 70% of school districts in the Inland Empire don’t give that big of a shit about sports. They might get the turf field grant and do a photo-op with the superintendent then say something about this is proof there’s commitment to athletics but as far as actually going to half the lengths MD and Bosco go to get kids and getting coaches on campus they won’t put their money where their mouth is...

If I had a kid, in any sport, that could get tuition paid for at a private school why would I pass that up? People have their kids transfer to other schools for reasons other than sports. So why limit this to the athletes? Its going to happen after high school, so you might as well get used to it.

I have said this in the past. A kid should be free to go to any school he wishes. If he hops around looking for the best opportunity, allegedly, and gets burned doing it then lesson learned (hopefully). Teach them to use better due diligence so they make better decisions.

Another argument is kids thinking they are going to start and then a transfer comes in and takes his spot. Thats life inside and outside of sports. Get used to it.

The lesson is there are no guarantees in life but two. The sooner a kid learns that the better off they will be.

Im putting ethics aside here, because trusting someone to have the same ethical standards as you will get you burned more times than not.

"A kid should be free to go to any school he wishes. If he hops around looking for the best opportunity, allegedly, and gets burned doing it then lesson learned (hopefully). Teach them to use better due diligence so they make better decisions."

I'm sorry but this is a horrible take on the matter. If a kid gets "burned", oh well? Where is the accountability on the part of the parents? We should not be setting kids up to fail. As a society we are far enough into this little experiment to know right from wrong in regards to the development of a child.

"
I'm sorry but this is a horrible take on the matter. If a kid gets "burned", oh well? Where is the accountability on the part of the parents? We should not be setting kids up to fail. As a society we are far enough into this little experiment to know right from wrong in regards to the development of a child.

What evidence do you have to suggest the majority of these kids are failing?

"A kid should be free to go to any school he wishes. If he hops around looking for the best opportunity, allegedly, and gets burned doing it then lesson learned (hopefully). Teach them to use better due diligence so they make better decisions."

What experiment? Freedom of parents making decisions that you or the state think are wrong? Were not talking about forcing their kids into criminal behavior. People make decisions that dont work out sometimes. Why would I pretend to know what is best for someones kid? I didnt go to the HS I was supposed to because its was horrible. So that makes my parents bad?

Reactions: RedZone90
Kids transferring to different schools happens all over the country. If you an outstanding talent, most likely you will have a school approach the kid with a offer. The choice purely falls on multiple reason for leaving.
#1. Scholarship
#2. Opportunity to play early
#3. Bad coaches
#4. Bad school
#5. Parents decision

I have seen the good and bad with kids leaving or wanting to leave. Most falls with coaches (who are bad coaches) and their favorites and talents. If you have good coaches who can relate with the students, then you will be able to keep your kids and bring out the best. In most cases, kids will be able to stay with that public school over transferring.

What evidence do you have to suggest the majority of these kids are failing?

I didn't realize this was a research paper requiring evidence. What does getting "burned" imply exactly? What evidence do we have that these kids are suffering burn injuries? Semantics.

What experiment? Freedom of parents making decisions that you or the state think are wrong? Were not talking about forcing their kids into criminal behavior. People make decisions that dont work out sometimes. Why would I pretend to know what is best for someones kid? I didnt go to the HS I was supposed to because its was horrible. So that makes my parents bad?

Old crow, did you "get burned" by not going to your home-school? If not, then this doesn't even apply to you. If you did, then maybe you should have stayed in your area. Kinda sounds like you are "pretending to know" what you are talking about.

And who said "majority"? Words matter on this board, as you pointed out.

You implied it is a societal problem with kids getting harmed by transferring, like it is some sort of failed social experiment. I’ll take back the word “majority”, but I don’t see the masses of children getting burned from transfers the way you implied it exists.

Old crow, did you "get burned" by not going to your home-school? If not, then this doesn't even apply to you. If you did, then maybe you should have stayed in your area. Kinda sounds like you are "pretending to know" what you are talking about.

Your handle, Lights0ut, is sooo much more appropriate now.

Rest assured that most DLS fans up north have lost most of their respect for Bruce Rollison, especially when you see a player transfer in after his junior year, play the fall season, and go back to his old school.

Rollison will never be looked on at the same level as Bob Ladoceur, since at least DLS sticks with what they have coming in as freshmen and don't bring in players in later years like MD.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT