ADVERTISEMENT

RB Jalen Shaw and qb Jim Leatherwood make history for Scripps Ranch

dawrestling

May 20, 2007
By David A. Willauer-Contributing Writer-Chick Embry Field at Wilson Stadium-Escondido High School-Escondido, CA: For the first time in school history Scripps Ranch has won the 2021 CIF Division III Football Title.

The last time these 2 schools met was early on August 27th where the Falcons won 52-51 score. In the shootout on Scripps Ranch's football field Jalen Shaw ran for 147 yards and 2 touchdowns, qb Jax Leatherwood passed for 363 yards along with 4 touchdown passes Conor Lawler 117 yards and 3 touchdowns and Dylan Wenger 115 yards and 1 touchdown. LaJolla was paced by Jordan Stratton passed for 470 yards along with 7 touchdowns,

In the CIF Division III San Diego Section Finals things went on a different trail as the Falcons behind Jalen Shaw's 166 yards rushing and scored 3 touchdown runs of 1, 4 and 14 yards, QB Jax Leatherwood passed for 180 yards as he contributed for 2 touchdown passes of 21 yards to Dean Paley (35 yards receiving)
and a 44 yarder to Nijah Richards (2 receptions for 59 yards)

Head Football Coach Martin Gardinera: "Jalen Shaw is one of the most dynamic athletes I've seen in San Diego County he can do lots of things other kids can't do, he was injured and came back a few weeks is ready to go as he sprained his ankle is why he didn't play in the second half, we will be ready for next weeks CIF State Tournament." "Jax Leatherwood is crazy as he looks down at me and wants to pat me on the top of my head with his 6'8" frame, at the end of the day he came ready to play I don't know where he came from last year he was an average JV quarterback has continued to improve a lot on his passing skills." "The success to the game is our defense wins games and that's what we did. "John Taylor my defensive coordinator dreamed of something like this and made it happen defense wins titles."

Jalen Smith on his performance for Scripps Ranch: "I was thinking on whatever it takes to register this win at this time of season, it doesn't matter if it's a bad win or not,our squad came out with a W as we did our parts in the game." In the third quarter I sprained my ankle when I came down the wrong way couldn't post on it but I'm glad that my teammates did their jobs. Jax Leatherwood who is a junior and very young threw the ball well tonighI as I look up to him even he's a junior is a great quarterback and leader."

For the LaJolla Vikings, Justin Scully with 24 yards rushing, Kevin Steele passed for 84 yards, Makai Smith 36 yards receiving and teammate Makai Smith 56 yards receiving.

Reactions: Dave Keefer
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT