ADVERTISEMENT

Narbonne has crashed; little life left

Dave Keefer

Jul 4, 2001
Excerpts from LA Times:

Five-time defending City Section Open Division football champion Harbor City Narbonne learned Friday that it has been banned from this year’s playoffs as well as the 2020 playoffs and must vacate its 2018 City title because of rules violations.

Narbonne went from 9-0 to 0-9 because the City Section determined that multiple players on this year’s team were ineligible. They involved residency violations. There was a dispute late Friday between the administration and coaching staff about which players were ineligible. Coaches wanted to prevent those who were ineligible from playing against Banning but administrators refused to identify the players to the coaching staff.

There’s expected to be an exodus of Narbonne underclassmen, and supporters of schools around the Southland have already made inquiries, according to one Narbonne coach.

Full article here: https://www.latimes.com/sports/highschool/story/2019-11-01/la-sp-narbonne-city-decision

My phone blew up when Eric reported this news earlier with a press release from the City Section. This Narbonne has the third most talent in the state this year and is really good. They are loaded and its really too bad. I would have picked them to beat Folsom in the state final and avenge their 1AA regional final loss to Cathedral Catholic, they are that good.

In terms of underclassmen ya there will be a feeding frenzy. Anthony Beavers and Jake Garcia are on the top of the list.Garcia is a USC junior quarterback commit that played at Long Beach Poly as a freshman. Beavers is an Oregon junior defensive back commit and played at Serra last year.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dave Keefer
I don’t know what’s more pathetic - the fact Narbonne and its coaching staff lied about grades and addresses just to win a few football games or the fact another handful of schools are going to do the same thing with the players that will be leaving.

sad state of affairs, these schools that put winning at any cost above all the better life lessons that should come out of high school sport and academics.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT