ADVERTISEMENT

The Ocean League, post week 1, pre-week 2

gvgrizzlyfan

Aug 15, 2005
Pretty happy with the performance of my Culver City Centaurs in week 1 against West Torrance. They won 58-27. CC QB Jonathan Martin was 28 of 37 for 537 yards passing, 5 TD's and no picks. He started the scoring off with a 52 yard keeper, ending up with 103 yards rushing on 7 attempts & 2 TD's.

But it is not a one man show. The receiving corps is nightmarishly good with 3 different receivers having more than 100 yards receiving and one with less than 100, having 3 TD catches. While West would not be confused with a top level program, they are usually not a doormat either. West had beaten CC 6 straight times until this year. They certainly possessed some physicality.

The game was not an immediate runaway either as it was tied 14-14 at one point. It could have stayed even closer if the West receivers had done a better job of catching the ball. There were several drops. I still think West has a shot at a Pioneer League championship this year, particular with Leuzinger looking a little vulnerable.

Culver City moves on to face another Pioneer league opponent, Torrance. Torrance (0-1) lost to Marina 26-15 in week 1. Torrance runs the wing T, but did show they may be able to surprise with a few passes. While their current rating has them lower than their final rating of last year, I think it is possible that they might be a little better. Having said that, Culver City also looks a little better, so I think if Torrance can match the 49-14 loss that they achieved against CC last year, than they will be doing well. Culver is ranked #1 in both the CIFss D-11 poll and the calpreps.com rankings for D-11.

Lawndale (1-0) still looks like the team to beat in the Ocean League. They shutout a challenged St. Bonaventure 35-0, who may be fielding their worst team in some time. Bonny might have a QB problem as the junior was only 10 of 24 for 122 yards, no TD's and 2 interceptions. The QB was also the top runner for Bonny.

Now Lawndale takes on a prior private school upset victim, Crespi (1-1), this week. Crespi beat Sylmar (0-2) 13-0, then fell 41-21 to a very good Aquinas team. Crespi actually led early, 21-7, then the wheels fell off somehow. If Crespi is healthy, perhaps this is close, but I believe Lawndale would have to come in to this game as the favorite against Crespi, for the first time.

El Segundo had a very good opening week with their young team, beating Leuzinger (1-1) 35-18. They were fairly balanced with 166 yards passing & 116 rushing. It looks like senior Danny McEntee did provide leadership, intercepting a pass, defending 4 others and scoring twice. El Segundo intercepted 3 passes.

With only 1 week done, it remains to be seen whether this is El Segundo really good, or Leuzinger really bad. El Segundo faces Oak Park (1-0) next week. That game may not fully answer the question either. Oak Park beat PV Peninsula 21-16 last week. But in week 3, Mira Costa awaits and that will surely be a test for El Segundo.

Hawthorne dismantled a horrible LA City D-3 team, Rivera (0-2) last week, 46-6, and while the rating is significantly better for their next opponent, South Torrance (0-1), than Rivera, I suspect another blowout. It will be a couple of weeks before Hawthorne might see their first challenge against Leuzinger, but even Leuzinger is starting to look suspect.

Santa Monica (0-2) lost 47-8 last week to Cypress, whose rating compares well with the upper half of the Ocean League. That is not a good sign for Samo, however, their next three games possess some hope for Samo to get at least a couple of wins before they have to open against Lawndale in league.

Woeful Beverly Hills (0-2) finally gets to a part of the schedule where they might at least have a little hope to play competitively. They are on the road to Malibu (1-0) this week who was lucky enough to schedule one of the worst rated teams in the Southern Section, Keppel. Malibu should be able to beat Beverly Hills but there is at least a little hope for a competitive game.

Last edited by a moderator:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT