ADVERTISEMENT

Santiago Salas Salsas Mission Hills Grizzlies in 33-6 win over Rancho Bernardo Broncos

dawrestling

May 20, 2007
By David A. Willauer-Contributing Writer-Broncos Stadium-10-6-22-Rancho Bernardo High School-San Diego, CA: The Broncos of Rancho Bernardo High School known for their outstanding athletes where in baseball a lot of talent has been produced and currently playing in the pros such as Trevor Williams, a relief pitcher for the New York Mets, Parker Bugg currently playing in the Miami Marlins farm system, for football you have DeVaughn Vele an outstanding sophomore wide receiver playing with the Utes of the University of Utah. Tonight was a different story for the Broncos of Rancho Bernardo as both teams entered the game with 3-3 records

The Grizzlies scored their first touchdown as running back Santiago Salas (78 yards rushing) scored on a 5 yard touchdown as they took a 7-0 lead. The Broncos got their only score of the game as qb Josh Thompson threw for 96 yards total connected to wide receiver Jayden Bess 50 yards receiving s scored on a 37 yarder to go within 7-6. The rest of the game was all Grizzlies as Santiago Salas scored his second touchdown on a run of 3 yards to go up 14-6. The Broncos fumbled the snap of the punt which ended up in the end zone for a safety, followed by Jonathan Reyes's 24 yard field goal put the Grizzles up 19-6.

The 4-3 Grizzlies scored 2 more touchdowns as Boheim Bodi scored on a 6 yarder followed by qb Keaton Smith's (passed for 156 yards) connected on a 9 yarder to teammate Curtis Johnson (37 yards receiving) to make the final score Mission Hills 33 Rancho Bernardo 6 as they fall to 3-4.

Santiago Salas on his performance: "My performance was great but I feel that I can improve each game this season." "I give a lot of credit to my offensive line that opened the holes for me to score my touchdowns, during the game we felt excited when we had that safety we knew as we're prepared to score points." "Our defense came together played as a team they did their responsibilities by keying their quarterback to scramble but made the key plays."

"This was one of my better performances, as a team I felt that I could have done more to improve to get higher yards next time." "We have a break this weekend for us to work hard in practice as our squad prepares for Torrey Pines we have to work on our conditioning to help prepare us for the next game. " Coming Monday will study the films on Torrey Pines' as they have run a crazy offense called the Wing T."

Notes for both High School Head Coach Tristan McCoy will be retiring at the end of this season and former Los Angeles Chargers and Rams player Eric Weddle will be taking over the reins the following year. The Grizzles of Mission Hills under long time head coach Chris Hauser, produced 2 outstanding players in Fred Warner has led the San Francisco 49ers in tackles since his rookie year while former Grizzly Chris Olave, the former Ohio State Buckeye was drafted in the first round by the New Orleans Saints, scored his first career touchdown in London, England as they were defeated by the Minnesota Vikings by a 28-25.

Reactions: Dave Keefer
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT