ADVERTISEMENT

Mission Viejo vs. Bellarmine

If you are in the stands, you will see both teams on the field and think the Bells are tiny compared to MV. Then you'll look at the offense the Bells run and think you are back in the 1950s watching them run the double wing. Don't let that fool you. Bells are a very good team and their size is deceptive. They have lots of speed with at least 3 4.5 kids on the field and their linemen, especially defense are small and quick. LBs are big and quick. DBs are very fast at both covering deep (one corner run a 10.69 100M) and closing on runs. They are a very good defensive team and physical for their size. Very disciplined as well on defense. They defeated a team last week that had a huge line (one of the top players at OL in the nation - Jonah Williams) and a nightmare to cover on offense. Bells offense is lead by a very good QB who also is a sprinter in track but also can throw the ball with the best of them. Bells won't throw the ball much but when they do they are dangerous. The won a national passing tournament this last summer but typically only pass when the running ball control attack isn't working which is seldom or passing downs. They sometimes will only pass 7-10 times a game. WR are very fast and TE is great, and throw to RBs as well. They run the double wing to perfection and misdirection everywhere. It can be like watching paint dry and then they'll break a long one. The HC just became the all time winningest coach in the section and very coached team. Last time in bowl they played Rancho Santa Margarita and it was contested until the end. This team could be better than that team

As far s matchup with MV, I think the MV defense is really good, especially the line. That DE is exceptional. The line matchups will be tough but they run so much misdirection it sometimes neutralizes that advantage and their o-line is good as far as technique. With double wing they tend to get lots of blockers out and that helps. MV offense is really good as well and balanced. I think Bells will be able to cover the receivers. The battle of the trenches will be crucial. Bells LBs are rally good so will be interesting. I think Bells can match MV speed. Should be rally good team. Bells will be underdog but wouldn't be surprised if Bells pull out the in.

Last edited:
Reactions: simidave
Bellarmine is traditionally very good and has their system. Mission is big and the more traditional Orange County athletes that are big and fast. I think Mission will win, I think Brock Johnson has grown a lot throughout the season and can carry them with the weapons around him. It will definitely be close and competitive, I covered a lot of Bellarmine a few years ago with KJ Carta Samuels and Tim Crowley and it is still that system and number of interchangeable pieces like Kyle McCauley is their guy now.

I think the Bells will have the speed to limit MVs big plays and their speed on both sides of the ball will surprise. Some of the players you will see - The #1 guy on Bellarmine is their true dual threat QB Sr, Troy Martig, QB, 6'0", 170, Sr, 11.16 100 M who is accurate a passer as they come at this level and also an impact player when he runs. At this level, there are very few high school QBs I would rather have for this offense and he runs it extremely well. Sr Kyle Macauley, Sr, RB/WR/DB, 5-10, 175, 10.69 aw 100M (4.5 40) , is an impact player on both sides of the ball, and Devon Buenrostro, Sr, 5'8", 165, WR/CB, 11.18 100 M, another impact player on both sides and skill players. Josh Bringuel, Sr, 6-4, 225, TE/LB, maybe the best all around player and very disruptive on defense- he is very quick for his size. Bringuel is very physical defender. Other players Jacob Bergstrom, Sr, T/LB, 6-3, 230, is another excellent linebacker and smller but quick like the DLS lineman type. Wolfie Rehbock, Sr, OL/DL, 6-3, 260, (Air Force commit) is a very good lineman. Sr RB/FS Antonio Garcia, 5-9, 175, is very quick and physical for his size. Jackson Burrell, 6-3, 220, FB/ LB is a physical LB and great blocker on offense. Jr Brendon Manigo, RB/OLB is very good as well. 5-10, 180, 4.59 40. Bells RBs are extremely good at running in crowds and getting through the tiniest holes. They follow their blocks extremely well. Cade Hall, so, C/NG is a son of an NFL and very good as well. I would not underestimate their ability to win this game. They should be in this game and MV has lots of work to do to stop their offense.

Last edited:
Thats an impressive and convincing 24-0 win for the Diablos. I definitely didn't expect that big of a margin. Junior Colin Schooler with a huge night rushing the ball behind a powerful Diablo line. They clearly pushed around the traditionally smaller Bellarmine front 7.

I would have to agree. MV was just too much in the trenches for Bellarmine.
MV was also without its starting left tackle.
Be interesting to what this means to MV's recruiting machine for next year, next year MV is likely to be back in the Big Boy playoff bracket.
As far as offenses go I do like MV's pro set I formation backfield. You pretty much know what's coming, just have to stop it.
Where does Schooler end up next year? does he stay at Mission or does he head off for a Trinity League school?

This definitely was Mission's year with Brock as a senior and they finished their season with a win over a pretty good team in Bellarmine.

It will be interesting to see what happens with those two brothers, Mater Dei will probably be the top team in Orange County next year in the preseason.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT