ADVERTISEMENT

LaCosta Canyon Mavericks open football season with 41-25 win over University City in SD Football Action

dawrestling

May 20, 2007
By David A. Willauer-Contributing Writer-LaCosta Canyon High School-Thursday, August 18, 2023: The Mavericks opened the 2023 Football home season as they jumped out to an early 21-0 lead on Quinn Rolff's 47 yard touchdown (threw for 210 yards passing) to Jackson Magione (226 yards receiving) and Andrew Mass (ran for 95 yards) scored 2 touchdown runs of 1 and 6 yards. University City scored their first touchdown as running back Ramon Rodriguez scored on a 19 yards field goal to go within 21-7.

After field goal kicker Connor Luoto connected on a 22 yard field goal put the Mavericks up 24-13, University City came back within 5 at 24-19 on qb Quentin DiMaio's(302 yards passing) threw a 90 yard parss to wide receiver John Dixon (226 yards receiving).

The Mavericks rallied on a 26 yard touchdown run by Cody Herman (72 yards rushing) along with teammate Connor Luoto following with a 28 yard field goal to go up 34-19 .

The last two touchdowns 1 by Andrew Mass who scored his 3rd touchdown of the game for LCC and for University City Quentin DeMaio threw his second touchdown pass a 35 yarder to wide receiver Shane Lockett which made the final score 41-25

Sean Sovacool on his team performance: "It was a 3rd and 18th for us and we let them extend the play,I give credit to their squad as they keep the play alive but if our guys do our responsibilities on the field as they turned a 3rd down play for or a touchdown." "When we led 24-13 they are a championship matter which made it difficult but the right adjustments were made and they gave us a lot of opportunities at the end and we played well today." "Andrew Maes is a returning football player he was named All League scored 12 touchdowns for us last year with 1600 all purpose yards is a senior captain for our ball club and a good football player." "I am looking forward to play Del Norte as Nick Barnett was named their new head coach he was an offensive line coach for our squad last year and I wish him luck."

Reactions: Dave Keefer
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT