ADVERTISEMENT

Icemen Blog / Oct 28th

malecki

Aug 5, 2008
Contemplating Spring and thought about why I got into Basketball in the first place. I love the game! Always have. I've never coached for the $. My first 10 years I barely made anything. Put in all sorts of time, clinics, camps, practices, etc. PAID MY DUES. I helped alot of players and never expected anything. I remember a fantastic coach, Ed Goorjian (Crescenta Valley HS) talking about two practice a day in the summer and never making a dime. That's what you did! You learned, experimented, became better.

As I began to Coach you learned from fantastic people. My mentors, Tony Carter Loza, Doug Mitchell, Dave Yanai, Rick Sabosky and many more. These coaches took time to mentor, challenge, and teach me how to coach. But, most importantly learn to "coach to my personality". Those that knew me as a young coach, I was a "hot head". Those that see me know don't realize how much I've mellowed. But I'm still competitive.

I see many getting in the game for a Money grab. Not learning, not paying dues. Guys that I know quit everything they were ever involved in are "training" and doing well. Parents need to wake up and do their homework. What is a good coach anymore and most importantly who knows if a guy can coach or not? It's like travel ball right now. It started to showcase the ELITE players in the game. Now every Tom, Dick and Harry are playing travel. You can't see the forest thru the trees.

Here is my view on the state of the game and the time constraints we all face. Have High School teams have the same requirements that colleges do. Off season,or even in season limits. You get 20 hours per week to do everything. Practice, Skills, Weights, Film, Games, Whatever. There are high school teams having off season 3.5 hour practice on a school night? Ridiculous. How bout a hard 1.5 with some serious skills. Get in, Get out! Sunday's with your family, eliminate all High School's competing on Sunday. Let's have all Travel Team stuff be sanctioned. Finger printing, background checks, etc. Perhaps like other states pay our California High School coaches what they deserve and go back to non association rule. Coaches are burning out to fast. Link the HS to a travel team, meaning Team ABC HS likes XYZ travel, they work together. Just a thought. PLEASE TEACH FUNDAMENTALS EVERYDAY AT YOUR PRACTICE. Even 8-10 mins of passing/catching, dribbling, shooting or footwork.

If youj're thinking about getting into basketball just to make money then I would rather not have you in. If you pay your dues, work hard, learn, share your newly acquired knowledge and the $ comes down the road, then I will never begrudge you.

This is still a great game with World Wide popularity. If you're a player, Learn how to play, and compete HARD. If you're a new coach, respect it, learn from an old timer, put your time in and pay your dues.

Blessings, Coach Malecki

icemen basketball

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT