ADVERTISEMENT

Culver City, the Ocean League and Division 11

gvgrizzlyfan

Aug 15, 2005
Ocean League wrap

Everything panned out pretty much as projected in the last week of the regular season. The three league favorites were able win their final games against the bottom 3 of the Ocean league. Culver City QB Jonathan Martin was 13 of 15 for 303 yards with 6 TD passes and no picks in a 63-8 win, but, it was poor little Beverly Hills they were playing. El Segundo beat Santa Monica 45-6 and Lawndale beat Hawthorne 54-6. 4th place finisher Hawthorne (2-3, 3-7) could not qualify in Division 12 with a losing record and there were no at-large playoff spots available. No at large spots were available in D-10 through D-13.

El Segundo (9-1), in D-7, drew a home game against Canyon of Anaheim (4-6). Canyon's record may not seem that impressive but it is a fairly strong league (Crestview). All 4 teams from that league qualified for the playoffs. El Segundo projects as a 4 point favorite with a possible score of 21-17.

Lawndale (6-4) also got a home game against a much more local opponent, West Torrance (7-3) in the Division 6 playoffs. The calpreps.com computer has Lawndale as 11 point favorites. I am not sure I agree. West is well coached. I saw them beat Culver City 34-33 in the opening game of the season. I think West might find a way to minimize the vaunted Lawndale running game and eek out a win.

Culver City (7-3) was lucky enough to get placed down in Division 11, but their first round opponent, Valley View of Moreno Valley (6-4) could be problematic. They have some good size on the O-line and Culver tends to struggle against ground & pound teams as Culver is not particularly big. Valley View also seems to have some speed. Perhaps more than your average Ocean league team, Calpreps.com is projecting a high scoring 40-34 Culver victory. I would be very happy with that.

Here are all the D-11 matchups:

11 PLAYOFFS

Arcadia at Oak Park - 7:00pm [projection: Arcadia (CA) 31-21]
Valley View (Moreno Valley) at Culver City - 7:30pm [projection: Culver City 40-34]
Heritage Christian (Northridge) vs. Rancho Alamitos (Garden Grove) at Bolsa Grande (Garden Grove) - 7:00pm [projection: Heritage Christian 31-14]
Katella (Anaheim) vs. Westminster - 7:00pm at Glover Stadium (Anaheim) [projection: Katella 41-28]
Coachella Valley (Thermal) at Montebello - 7:30pm [projection: Montebello 38-21]
Quartz Hill at Bishop Montgomery (Torrance) - 7:00pm [projection: Quartz Hill 21-14]
Twentynine Palms vs. Jurupa Hills (Fontana) - 7:00pm at Twentynine Palms JHS [projection: Twentynine Palms 28-21]
Covina at Victor Valley (Victorville) - 6:00pm [projection: Victor Valley 22-14]

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Dave Keefer
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT