ADVERTISEMENT

New Hires In the IE...Who has helped themselves the most?

King Marques I

Nov 18, 2002
In reviewing the current coaching changes in the IE, I wonder which school helped itself the most with their coaching hire?

Riverside Poly- John Rice
San Bernardino- Shawn Collins
Upland- Daryl Thomas
Hemet- Dennis Gregovich
Citrus Hill- Jason McMains
Chino- Joey De La Rosa
Etiwanda- Nick Baiz
Damien- Matt Bechtel
Hillcrest- Travis Carter
Indian Springs- Darin Owens
Great Oak- Cody Roelof
Lakeside- Jim Seidler

I really like the two Baseline League signees. Baiz is a very good coach and should see success at Etiwanda. Matt Bechtel at Damien is huge for them, a Damien grad that had huge success at South Hills and was good at other places, it'll be interesting to see how he sells that place and the private school education in that very good league of public schools.

Reactions: doctrk and simidave
I agree with BJB,
The Baseline League got better in general. Outside of that, Hillcrest going with a familiar coach will be good for them.

Reactions: simidave
I agree. The Baseline league will be better. I am particularly interested in how Coach Baiz will do at Etiwanda. The Eagles perennially seem to be at the cusp of becoming players in CIF Title talk. This could be the move that finally sees that potential realized.

The Poly, Hemet and Hillcrest hires were all from coaches on staff. How much of a difference will it make? My thoughts on hiring leaders is if you are happy with the direction of the program, hire from within. If you are not happy, bring in someone new. With Poly and Hemet, I question this move (though, in truth, I am a fan of Coach Rice). I do not think either program is going in the right direction. With Hillcrest I applaud the move, though I know next to nothing about Coach Carter.

Citrus Hill is a tough call. Coach McMains is a good coach, but it is tough to follow a legend and Coach Zomalt has earned his stripes there. Anything less than a league title and deep playoff run will be seen as disappointment. I wish Coach McMains and staff well.

What happened to Doug Dubois as he literally disappeared at J.W. North and is totally off the grid ?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT