ADVERTISEMENT

Maxpreps Preseason Rankings

bjbrandon

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2007
Maxpreps released their preseason national top 100 on Wednesday. The State of California has 11 schools in the top 100 and five teams in the top 25. The rankings are headlined by Bruce Rollinson's Mater Dei Monarchs in the top spot.

1. Mater Dei
3. St. John Bosco
12. Corona Centennial
18. Concord De La Salle
25. Folsom
27. Narbonne
33. Mission Viejo
40. Oaks Christian
48. JSerra
51. Sierra Canyon
54.Cathedral Catholic of San Diego
55.Upland
62.Serra
65.Calabasas
74. Liberty of Brentwood in the Bay Area
95. Corona Del Mar

Reactions: Dave Keefer
Still can't figure out why Folsom always ranked so high. In the last 10 years they have only played one nationally ranked caliber team, De La Salle, and are 0-3 vs. the Spartans.

Reactions: RedZone90
Still can't figure out why Folsom always ranked so high. In the last 10 years they have only played one nationally ranked caliber team, De La Salle, and are 0-3 vs. the Spartans.
I'm not that familiar with them but they do seem to have some good talent every year and they're coming off two straight D-1AA State Championships.

Reactions: MURVALDAD
Folsom has been the unanimous second best team north of the LA Area for a while. They have a combined 101-6 record in the past seven seasons. They haven't played many teams from SoCal or out of state with the exception of playing at Chaminade last season, they beat everyone from Northern California except De La Salle.

This year has a QB competition with a senior was the backup and a junior from Seattle. They should be pretty good elsewhere with two of the best players in Nor Cal at running back in Daniyel Ngata and wide receiver in Elijhah Badger.

Folsom has been the unanimous second best team north of the LA Area for a while. They have a combined 101-6 record in the past seven seasons. They haven't played many teams from SoCal or out of state with the exception of playing at Chaminade last season, they beat everyone from Northern California except De La Salle.

This year has a QB competition with a senior was the backup and a junior from Seattle. They should be pretty good elsewhere with two of the best players in Nor Cal at running back in Daniyel Ngata and wide receiver in Elijhah Badger.

Also being located just down the road from MaxPreps Headquarters has a lot to do with it too...

agree. Until they play and beat someone, the rankings are artificially high.
DLS shut them out last year.

Also being located just down the road from MaxPreps Headquarters has a lot to do with it too...

That's absolutely fair John and something I've heard from a few people. For those of you not familiar with Sacramento County, Folsom High is 11 miles from MaxPreps' headquarters in Cameron Park so they are extremely familiar them.

Brandon, just for fun where would you rank Folsom if you included them in a top 25 (or whatever) of teams in SoCal?

I would have ranked them fourth at the end of last season behind MD, Bosco, Centennial. They lost their QB to Boise and WR to Clemson, this year they are pretty good almost everywhere despite a QB competition. They are both good but preseason I’d probably rank them fifth in So Cal behind those three and Narbonne.

Maxpreps released their preseason national top 100 on Wednesday. The State of California has 11 schools in the top 100 and five teams in the top 25. The rankings are headlined by Bruce Rollinson's Mater Dei Monarchs in the top spot.

1. Mater Dei #1 -0
3. St. John Bosco #3 -0
12. Corona Centennial #17 -5
18. Concord De La Salle #20 -2
25. Folsom #75 -50
27. Narbonne #38 -11
33. Mission Viejo #56 -23
40. Oaks Christian #561 -521
48. JSerra #53 -5
51. Sierra Canyon #155 -104
54.Cathedral Catholic of San Diego #29 +25
55.Upland #324 -269
62.Serra #86 -24
65.Calabasas #151 -86
74. Liberty of Brentwood in the Bay Area #397 -323
95. Corona Del Mar #52 +43

Thought I would take a look after the half way point at the Maxpreps preseason rankings.

MD and SJB held their exact rankings at #1 and #3 respectfully. All other California teams have dropped except for Cathedral Catholic of San Diego and undefeated Corona del Mar of Newport Beach.

The big disappointments to date are Oaks Christian and Upland, both standing at 4-4 on the season.

That is a pretty interesting look SK. The top seven have lived up to their billing now that Narbonne is deemed undefeated after a forfeit by Lone Peak of Utah. That Centennial/Cathedral game is two top teams so I don't blame them for losing that one on the road, even though it took the Huskies out of the national picture.

I'd add Serra to that disappointment list, they really struggled with quarterback injuries the past few weeks and are 4-4 too.

So I picked on Oaks and Upland when I should have made a special mention (premonition) of Narbonne... where do they land from here! And by the looks of Serra last night they may be next on my list of disappointments.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT