ADVERTISEMENT

Will the High School Season Start on Time?

I have my doubts it’ll start on time. I’ve talked to some coaches at both levels who expect some guys to transfer to play in other states based off that decision.

I just listened to an interview with CIF Southern Section Commissioner Rob Wigod from Thursday on the Petros and Money Radio Show. He basically said everything is on the table to make the fall, spring, and winter sports happen. He said the schools need to open and commit to what they are doing in the fall whether in person or online, that dictates the sports part and everything they do.

I have heard that some schools with out of state games might have to change up their schedule. The game I'm most interested in monitoring is De La Salle at North Shore of Houston on ESPN on August 29th. NS has won the past 2 state titles in the top division in Texas and is loaded this season.

That De La Salle game was officially canceled a few hours ago. CIF recommended Friday that teams avoid traveling out of the area in the fall. I was planning to go to that game when visiting my parents in Houston.

The LA Unified School District announced today students won’t be on campus in August and will be continuing online learning. City Section sports like football definitely won’t be starting in August.

We are a week from the CIF’s announcement on fall sports and it’s not looking good for football in the fall.

It can be pushed back but must end by that April 10th date Dave mentioned. It also can’t start any earlier, the Northern Section’s attempt to play in the fall was axed by the new California health rules this week.

The tentative schedule as of now for example San Clemente the last one I saw, is their first game is January 8th, League play ends on March 12th, then a month of Southern Section playoffs ending with the finals on April 9/10 then a state playoff game on April 16/17.

ADVERTISEMENT