ADVERTISEMENT

Orange Vista/Adelanto game ruled a double forfeit; El Monte is the D-12 champ

Dave Keefer

Jul 4, 2001
CIF Press release:

LOS ALAMITOS – During the CIF Southern Section (CIF-SS) Division 12 semifinal football contest played between Orange Vista High School and Adelanto High School a physical altercation broke out on the field that eventually involved nearly every member of both teams.

In order to ensure the health and safety of our student-athletes, the member schools of the CIF-SS enacted regulations to eliminate or at least minimize the risk of harm to our student-athletes during an athletic contest.

One such rule is CIF-SS Bylaw 2027 which states, “Any player who is ejected for any reason shall be disqualified from the remainder of the game and will be ineligible for the team’s next contest and may not attend.”

Furthermore, CIF-SS Bylaw 2027 states, “Any player who leaves the confines of the bench or team area during a fight that has broken out or may break out will be ineligible for the team’s next contest.“ This rule was adopted by our member schools to ensure that no student-athletes leave the bench or team area whenever a physical altercation takes place.

The Misconduct Report filed by the game officials clearly stated that, with the exception of 5-6 members of the Adelanto High School football team who remained on the sidelines during this incident, every other player from both schools was ejected from the contest per CIF-SS Bylaw 2027 and this contest was terminated by the game officials due to the fact that there were no longer enough players for either team available to continue.

Therefore, this semifinal game is declared a double forfeit with neither team advancing to the CIFSS Division 12 Championship Final this upcoming weekend.

El Monte High School is declared the CIF-SS 11-Man Football Division 12 Champion. The CIF-SS Office will have no further comment on this unfortunate incident.

They have on other issues like eligibility and a court injunction would force them to have to prove and identity every player and Coach that were involved in the altercation and subject to ejection.

A good Attorney could force this issue as the games are this Saturday and contest each ejection which could take weeks!

Just saying and we all know how these loafer shufflers work Dave !

They have on other issues like eligibility and a court injunction would force them to have to prove and identity every player and Coach that were involved in the altercation and subject to ejection.

A good Attorney could force this issue as the games are this Saturday and contest each ejection which could take weeks!

Just saying and we all know how these loafer shufflers work Dave !
I highly doubt it. Attorneys have to assess damages meaning careers were ruined which is hardly the case it's a lower division and I don't think anybody cares. I doubt the schools involved would like to retain an attorney either. For what money lost? The rules are clear. They don't have a case. No worthwhile attorney would take it.

Last edited:
I highly doubt it. Attorneys have to assess damages meaning careers were ruined which is hardly the case it's a lower division and I don't think anybody cares. I doubt the s hools involved would like to retain an attorney too. For what money lost? The rules are clear. They don't have a case. No worthwhile attorney would take it.
School Districts have legal counsel on retainer and could very well challenge this ruling . Damages could be lost revenue, emotional distress from not being allowed to complete, wrongful ejection by non participating players and coaches.......

I'm not saying I agree with it, only that it's probable.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT