ADVERTISEMENT

Naiya Kumik's layup and Brooke Quintana's 2 free throws pace Fallbrook to D II CIF Section Title

dawrestling

May 20, 2007
By David A. Willauer-Contributing Writer-San Marcos High School-San Marcos, CA-Friday, February 25, 2022-In one of the most low scoring games that was played at San Marcos High School, after 3 ties and different lead changes along with a lot of low scoring, defense and turnovers on both ends of the court the Lady Warriors of Fallbrook made history as they led 25-23 put the finishing touches in the ball game on a key layup by Naiya Kumik led with 11 points and teammate Brooke Quintana 10 points with converted on 2 free throws in the game as they defeated the Lady Tigers of Imperial High School by a 29-23 score.

The Lady Tigers of Imperial go to 24-6 was led by Nayeli Cardona with 12 and 9 by Sierra Morris

Brooke Quintana: "I felt that we played well as a team after a slow first half, in the second half, we played as a team." "As I went to the foul line as we led 29-23 I felt nervous but I did my job for the team and hit the key shots."

Samuel Harrison Fallbrook Warriiors Girls Basketball Coach: "2nd half we tend to play down what we did came out of our zone to our press it worked well When my girls shoot free throws, I never watch, my back is always turned and ask my bench to let me know if they made the shots or not ." "It feels amazing for us to win our CIF title in a long time
it's the kids that went out and did their responsibilities." "Last year we played St. Joseph's Academy at their place and lost by 1 point in the quarter final round but in our house we gave them quite a battle and won." "I want to let the kids know how to get ready throughout the CIF and they responded well."

Naiya Kurnik: " I felt tonights game went at a slow pace in the first half we had trouble with our shots to the net along with not playing good defense as the game was tied 15-15 at the half, we came out in the second half as we went inside Imperial's zone the shots started to open up for our team." "When we opened up on our baskets a bit my two pointer to put us 27-23 along with Brooke Quintana's free throws we played better on defense."

Footnotes on the Fallbrook vs. Imperial contest:

This is Imperial's 2nd appearance in the CIF Section Finals. Their first appearance came in 2016 when they lost to Bonita Vista by a 62-54 score.

Fallbrook makes their 7 appearance in the CIF Section Finals have won 3 titles including today and 4 time runner ups

1976 lClass 2AA Lost to Helix 35-31 1977 Class 2AA lost to El Capitan 60-57 1978 defeated El Capitan 52-47
1982 Class 3AA defeated Madison 43-32 1985 Class 3AA lost to Point Loma 86-52
1988 D II Finals Lost to San Pasqual D II 47-45 2022 defeated Imperial
29-27

Reactions: Dave Keefer
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT