ADVERTISEMENT

Do Transfers Rue at Mater Dei?

raffidog123

Nov 11, 2018
I would be curious how many players on the current Mater Dei roster were not there as freshmen. Those of us up north thinks it is BS the way MD flaunts the transfer rules. Why don't they just use the players who start at MD as freshmen. I think I know why; if they did that, they would never be able to beat DLS in the State Open game.

You must be a DLS lover - what does it matter in the grand scheme
of things. DLS is a school like MD. it could do what it wants, I mean
DLS is the ONLY large private high school football power in their
ENTIRE CIF section - that is like MD or Servite having all of Orange
County to itself, quit sniveling - what's wrong; tired of the DLS
***kicking they have been getting...

They're tired of being out recruited. It wouldn't surprise me if MD was drawing talent that would have gone to DLS. Most schools would be lucky to have one major recruit on their team. MD has them at every position and more waiting in the wings or waiting to transfer. Schools like them let the genie out of the bottle.

You gotta believe they lose a lot of transfers.

How would you feel as a parent if you paid full tuition, your kid showed up everyday and worked hard and then his coaches went out and recruited somebody better than him from two counties away? I’d be pissed.

I bet they also get a lot of transfers who end up leaving. How many parents out there have delusions of grandeur about their unathletic kids being D1 athletes and really believe being at the right HS is the difference between being offered and not? Then how long will they stay around when they’re 4th string?

They do lose a bunch of guys too. Chris Street left Mater Dei before last season because of a crowded backfield with Sean Dollars and Shakobe Harper at running back. He had a big junior year and is committed to Cal and is in the midst of his second big season at JSerra.

Hey Fohian, what do you mean wouldn't be surprised if MD draws talent that could have gone to DLS. These schools are 400 miles apart. That is not a good argument.

As far as Sea 1's comments, no one has yet to answer my question on the number of upperclassmen that MD brings in. DLS doesn't mind the sort of whippings they may get in the State Open Game, because they knwo that the team doing the whipping is a cheating transfer school.

MD has in the past been able to bring in a few upperclassmen to help the run to the ship- Bryce young being one of them. But I will say that in the last 3-4 years they have done a great job poaching the youth football programs around SoCal and beyond to get kids to enter as frosh and stay all 4 years. It’s impressive. I believe at least three starters this season (and four last year-ware Hudson) on defense are from the Murrieta Temecula area(Nathan white, domani Jackson and josh hunter) and more power to em, they figured they were good enough to compete with the best, and they were correct.

Reactions: Dave Keefer
I would be curious how many players on the current Mater Dei roster were not there as freshmen. Those of us up north thinks it is BS the way MD flaunts the transfer rules. Why don't they just use the players who start at MD as freshmen. I think I know why; if they did that, they would never be able to beat DLS in the State Open game.

DLS fans already feeling the discomfort of another MD beat down in the State Championship? LOL.

Reactions: MURVALDAD
Well, take Bryce Young off the team and the three starters on defense from the Temescal area who transferred and DLS would be favored to win this years state game. And please, don't tell me most MD players come in as freshmen. Bogus!!

As far as I am concerned the score is still:

Bob Ladoceur 4 and Bruce Rollison 0. At least when both teams were playing the game straight.

Well, take Bryce Young off the team and the three starters on defense from the Temescal area who transferred and DLS would be favored to win this years state game. And please, don't tell me most MD players come in as freshmen. Bogus!!

Bob Ladoceur 4 and Bruce Rollison 0. At least when both teams were playing the game straight.
Give us a break. DLS plays the same game it's just that MD is much better at it and has a bigger talent pool to pick from at least locally. It really goes beyond that too.

Reactions: RedZone90
Good point re. a bigger talent pool, which does give MD a big advantage. Just saying without Young at qb, the State Game would be a toss up. When you say "it really goes beyond that too"? I don't suppose you are talking about coaching, are you? I mean, Rollison was never anywhere near the coach that Ladoceur was.

You're living in the past man,give it up, times change,
if you want to be top dog you gotta stay up or be left
behind, btw; interesting that Ladoceur gave up the head
coach position when he did, I wonder if.....

Good point re. a bigger talent pool, which does give MD a big advantage. Just saying without Young at qb, the State Game would be a toss up. When you say "it really goes beyond that too"? I don't suppose you are talking about coaching, are you? I mean, Rollison was never anywhere near the coach that Ladoceur was.
Let's put it this way. Years ago Mater Dei had two basketball players from my hometown. Transfers from Fontana. MD has it down to an art. That isn't exactly local.

This whole argument is getting real old. De La Salle's best player last year when did his freshman year at Burbank in Sacramento then showed up for three years and is making an impact at Tennessee as a true freshman. Everyone has transfers. Mater Dei, St. John Bosco, and Narbonne are on a different level talent wise than De La Salle and Folsom/etc with or without the transfers.

This De La Salle team is good but doesn't have the dudes off the teams down south. I was on the sidelines for their first game against St. Thomas Aquinas of Florida, its a different level athlete.

All this recruitment has killed interest in prep football. Sure at Mater Dei and a couple other schools they still have a great following. Sports fans are frontrunners, that's no surprise and with parents Johnny has to be part of a winner no matter the cost if they can afford it. That's not the story at most high schools. If you attend other high school games there's hardly anyone there.

There's no suspense because it's the same teams over and over. The days where even a Mater Dei could get beat and beaten badly by say an Eisenhower in any given year are long gone. An overwhelming majority of public schools have absolutely no chance against the well funded private schools and liberal acceptance policies like at Mater Dei and St. John Bosco. Loyola is a school that has kept it real and look where they're at. That's what you get when you have standards where academics is a big reason why you're accepted into a school not necessarily because you are a superb athlete.

I don't like this new format of eight Division 1 teams. I can see why they did it though because in a round of 16 the first round matchups had become academic, a mere formality. I miss a 16 team field where you would see a wild card team reach the finals. Way back in 76 Fontana reached the finals as a 3rd place team in a 70 team field when it was 4A, 3A, 2A and 1A. You'll never ever see that again.

Even Long Beach Poly is just another team. The odds are stacked for the usual suspects. That's just a fact. You rarely see upsets now in the playoffs. So get ready for another St. John Bosco vs Mater Dei final where the winner will face DLS and wipe them out badly.

I enjoy fishing but would it really be fun if I caught a fish with every single cast? Part of the fun is not knowing... the element of surprise. There's no surprises in prep football anymore in the Southern Section or in the state of California.

Hate to burst your bubble, but you’re wrong. Most MD players do begin there as freshmen. Yes, they get transfers. And they lose transfers. Those three Murrieta kids all went to MD as freshmen - it stung because two of them were expected to start for Murrieta Valley last year.

All this recruitment has killed interest in prep football. Sure at Mater Dei and a couple other schools they still have a great following. Sports fans are frontrunners, that's no surprise and with parents Johnny has to be part of a winner no matter the cost if they can afford it. That's not the story at most high schools. If you attend other high school games there's hardly anyone there.

There's no suspense because it's the same teams over and over. The days where even a Mater Dei could get beat and beaten badly by say an Eisenhower in any given year are long gone. An overwhelming majority of public schools have absolutely no chance against the well funded private schools and liberal acceptance policies like at Mater Dei and St. John Bosco. Loyola is a school that has kept it real and look where they're at. That's what you get when you have standards where academics is a big reason why you're accepted into a school not necessarily because you are a superb athlete.

I don't like this new format of eight Division 1 teams. I can see why they did it though because in a round of 16 the first round matchups had become academic, a mere formality. I miss a 16 team field where you would see a wild card team reach the finals. Way back in 76 Fontana reached the finals as a 3rd place team in a 70 team field when it was 4A, 3A, 2A and 1A. You'll never ever see that again.

Even Long Beach Poly is just another team. The odds are stacked for the usual suspects. That's just a fact. You rarely see upsets now in the playoffs. So get ready for another St. John Bosco vs Mater Dei final where the winner will face DLS and wipe them out badly.

I enjoy fishing but would it really be fun if I caught a fish with every single cast? Part of the fun is not knowing... the element of surprise. There's no surprises in prep football anymore in the Southern Section or in the state of California.
What’s your basis for saying interest in HS football is being killed? Our stands are more full than ever. Plenty of viewers for TV and internet broadcast games. I know people who still listen the audio call of games on the Inland Sports show. I disagree that interest is dying. It appears alive and well to me.

Reactions: RedZone90
ADVERTISEMENT