ADVERTISEMENT

CIF punishes South Gate for violations

Dave Keefer

Jul 4, 2001
LA City Section Press Release:

October 24, 2016

GRANADA HILLS, Calif.

Upon conclusion of an investigation into its football program, the CIF LA City Section has determined the following regarding South Gate High School.

South Gate varsity football has been found to have five players in violation of transfer rules and will forfeit all games in which any of the five have participated in.

The JV team was found to have allowed participation by three academically ineligible players. The JV team will forfeit all games in which these players participated in.

Since this is a second transfer violation and participation offense within the past three years, South Gate has been deemed ineligible for the 2016 Division I playoffs. South Gate was previously on probation during the second half of the 2014 season and the first half of the 2015 season.

Additionally, the five players on the varsity football team have been declared ineligible for the remainder of the season.

This ruling is subject to the request of appeal by the South Gate administration.

South Gate is currently 6-2 overall and 3-0 in league. The Rams are ranked #6 by MaxPreps in Division I in the City Section.

South Gate's appeal was denied; Hawkins under investigation. Here's part of today's City Section press release:

The LA City Section appeals panel upheld the Commissioner’s decision to ban South Gate from the playoffs this season. South Gate will not participate in the 2016 Division I playoffs.

In addition, South Gate will be on probation effective October 21, 2016 to October 21, 2017. They will be eligible for the 2017 playoffs.

Hawkins will be eligible for the 2016 Division II playoffs. Currently, there is an ongoing investigation with LAUSD and the City Section office.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT