ADVERTISEMENT

2019 CIF PLAYOFF PAIRINGS {LIVE}

SK80

Nov 3, 2014
Live updates: CIF-SS football playoff pairings released today
https://www.ocregister.com/2019/11/...m_source=twitter.com&utm_content=tw-ocvarsity

Starting at 11:45 AM 11/3/19

pairings.updates-1.jpg

CIF: cifss.org/sports/football-11/
TWITTER: twitter.com/CIFSS

My Division 5 prediction:
Not saying I am gonna be able to do it or even whether I properly understand all the seeding criteria, but I will take a stab at it anyway. If I understand the qualifying rules, I should at least get the 16 teams who get selected for the playoffs.
.1 Culver City 10-0
vs
16 Oak Hills 4-6

8 Lompoc 7-3
vs
9 St. Bonaventure 5-4

6 Diamond Ranch 7-3
vs
11 Etiwanda 5-5

4 Yorba Linda 9-1
vs
13 Citrus Hill 7-3

3 Glendora 9-1
vs
15 El Modena 5-5

5 St. Paul 9-1
vs
12 Mayfair 5-5

7 Aquinas 8-2
vs
10 Chino Hills 5-5

2 Oxnard 9-1
vs
15 Bishop Diego 5-5

Reactions: Dave Keefer
At Large selections for each division have been posted and are as I expected for Division 5

Kaiser got an insanely brutal draw in D6, starting at home against Redondo and should they win that get the winner of Apple Valley-San Jacinto

It's the playoffs! Everyone now wants a cupcake schedule? Kaiser at home is a favorite against Redondo and only a one possession dogg to San Jacinto.

If you want brutal looking at the IE from here, Santiago coming out to face Corona del Mar is like you said..., "insanely brutal"!

Most 3rd or 4th place have insanely brutal draws, unless the league is stacked then they are the insanely brutal draw. So I definitely don't want to hear about a 3rd or 4th place team crying about having to face a league champ on the road

from here meant from OC, Newport Beach... brutal drive and game for the Sharks.

Again, Santiago was the 4th placeteam in the Big 8 with a losing record to boot, that's not unexpected

I was reviewing some of the brackets and obviously I don't understand the selection criteria.

But in D-4 how does a 1-9 5th place El Toro get in over a 4-6 Paloma Valley 3rd place and Charter Oak 4th place and a 3-7 Yucaipa 4th placeo_O

Kaiser got an insanely brutal draw in D6, starting at home against Redondo and should they win that get the winner of Apple Valley-San Jacinto
Bigmitch I agree with a lot of your posts but somehow Redondo and especially Apple Valley or San Jacinto should never send shivers down any one's spine... ever. I also think Kaiser has been playing in too low a division given their consistent success down there. I mean they've been good since Bruich started the program. It's time to really test the program. They've been around a long time now.

Reactions: CSUFGrad
Bigmitch I agree with a lot of your posts but somehow Redondo and especially Apple Valley or San Jacinto should never send shivers down any one's spine... ever. I also think Kaiser has been playing in too low a division given their consistent success down there. I mean they've been good since Bruich started the program. It's time to really test the program. They've been around a long time now.

I agree with that to an extent, Kaiser has been good since it's inception save for 2000, 2007 and 2016, but I think division 6 is about right for them maybe as high as division 4 but I definitely don't think they're quite ready for the Mater Dei, Centennial, Bosco and Mission Viejo type teams

I agree with that to an extent, Kaiser has been good since it's inception save for 2000, 2007 and 2016, but I think division 6 is about right for them maybe as high as division 4 but I definitely don't think they're quite ready for the Mater Dei, Centennial, Bosco and Mission Viejo type teams
Ummmm Mitch...... between D6, 5 even 4 there is about 100 point per game differential when talking MD and SJB.

Oh god no. Not remotely close to Div 1. I think they could compete all the way up to D3.

I was reviewing some of the brackets and obviously I don't understand the selection criteria.

But in D-4 how does a 1-9 5th place El Toro get in over a 4-6 Paloma Valley 3rd place and Charter Oak 4th place and a 3-7 Yucaipa 4th placeo_O

I looked up El Toro and Paloma Valley too and I can't argue with you on that one. El Toro had to go out of state to find someone they could beat, and Paloma Valley beat teams better than that by power rating. All I can figure is the selection committee got hypnotized by the bright lights of the South Coast league. But having Rancho Verde in your league is nothing to sniff at either. Charter Oak and Yucaipa both look more deserving than El Toro as well. Could it be possible those 3 teams did not apply for the playoffs? You are supposed to apply. El Toro filled out paperwork and they didn't? That is about the only thing that would make sense here. If that is the case, a lesson learned for those 3 teams. If your in a 19 team division, fill out playoff paperwork, even if you might be considered dead last in the division.

There just never seems to be the perfect solution. I think there are just TOO MANY divisions which make some divisions on any given season just thin on depth or quality as in worthy of qualifying for a playoff slot. So those whom have done nothing to earn one get one.

On the flip side, if you were to go back to 5, 6, 7 divisions I feel many high school football programs would cease as the new era of mobility has widened the talent gap so far it would be senseless for some school to continue on.

There is also the declining student athlete in the sport of football for many a reason. That alone has diluted the depth of many teams. In this sport today you play if you are REALLY good. Really good players all want to play with really good players, the concentrate themselves at a few schools. They are no longer scattered amongst many teams. The top is rising while the rest slipping.

For the sake of the mid and lower divisions I think CIF should eliminate at least 1 maybe 2 divisions. At some point it would push up the quality of the lower seeds within each division as they get a bit more crowded.

This is simply an assumption on my part, anyone else have any ideas or better vision...? Or do you go to what the OPEN division has done and only top 8 make playoffs not 16. No more #1 vs #16 games, start at #1 vs #8.

There just never seems to be the perfect solution. I think there are just TOO MANY divisions which make some divisions on any given season just thin on depth or quality as in worthy of qualifying for a playoff slot. So those whom have done nothing to earn one get one.

On the flip side, if you were to go back to 5, 6, 7 divisions I feel many high school football programs would cease as the new era of mobility has widened the talent gap so far it would be senseless for some school to continue on.

There is also the declining student athlete in the sport of football for many a reason. That alone has diluted the depth of many teams. In this sport today you play if you are REALLY good. Really good players all want to play with really good players, the concentrate themselves at a few schools. They are no longer scattered amongst many teams. The top is rising while the rest slipping.

For the sake of the mid and lower divisions I think CIF should eliminate at least 1 maybe 2 divisions. At some point it would push up the quality of the lower seeds within each division as they get a bit more crowded.

This is simply an assumption on my part, anyone else have any ideas or better vision...? Or do you go to what the OPEN division has done and only top 8 make playoffs not 16. No more #1 vs #16 games, start at #1 vs #8.

Personally I think they should make divisions based on the amount of transfers or players not living within a 15 mile radius of the school. I think it'll be a little more fair for schools like CdM and the like. They might not be the best overall, but they can claim to be the best non-mercenary squad in the Southern Section

Reactions: Fohian
@bigmitch they very well already may be!
Personally I think they should make divisions based on the amount of transfers or players not living within a 15 mile radius of the school. I think it'll be a little more fair for schools like CdM and the like. They might not be the best overall, but they can claim to be the best non-mercenary squad in the Southern Section

https://www.ocregister.com/2019/09/...w-why-high-school-football-is-alive-and-well/

https://www.ocregister.com/2019/09/...w-why-high-school-football-is-alive-and-well/

Explain, please. Do you mean the best non-mercenary team in the SS because if that's what you mean, I can't disagree. But best overall might be a stretch, I singled CdM because they are the best that I could think of that to my knowledge doesn't have a ton of transfers and is primarily kids from a 15 mile radius of the school

CDM is ranked #10 in state by Maxpreps and #7 in CIF-SS. The only publics ranked higher are CC and MV. I won't elaborate on how they make up their rosters.

Also of note, CDM destroyed CC and beat MV at the biggest 7v7 tournament at Mission Viejo HS this past summer only to lose in the Final against SJB.

In Orange County for sometime MV has been the best. They play the recruit/transfer game. San Clemente whom uses the motto "One Town One Team" has begun to cave. QB's from Long Beach etc. CDM ran all over SC this year. I think a CDM with the county best offense (outside MD) vs MV with the county best defense (outside MD) would be an epic game.

CDM is ranked #10 in state by Maxpreps and #7 in CIF-SS. The only publics ranked higher are CC and MV. I won't elaborate on how they make up their rosters.

Also of note, CDM destroyed CC and beat MV at the biggest 7v7 tournament at Mission Viejo HS this past summer only to lose in the Final against SJB.

In Orange County for sometime MV has been the best. They play the recruit/transfer game. San Clemente whom uses the motto "One Town One Team" has begun to cave. QB's from Long Beach etc. CDM ran all over SC this year. I think a CDM with the county best offense (outside MD) vs MV with the county best defense (outside MD) would be an epic game.
I agree. Let’s get that on the schedule next season.

What would be cool is to isolate mercenary teams by not scheduling them for any reason. Let them schedule outside of the state for non league games. Don't be cannon fodder for MD, SJB, CC or MV. Refuse to play them. If they ran out of opponents kids may not want to play there as much. I know it's fantasy but what the heck? I can dream.

Already looking at the Division 2 brackets it's so much more interesting. Some interesting potential matchups and parity. Not so in Division 1. No drama, very little potential for upsets. It's the Orange County All Stars versus the LA County All Stars with the stepping stones in between.

A dismal crowd at the Rancho Cucamonga/MV game. An eighth full on MV's side and spots open around the press box on RCs side for this intriguing high school playoff game.
People say high school football hasn't been affected by the transfer debacle. I remember IE football where stadiums were packed especially with anyone playing Fontana.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT