ADVERTISEMENT

What's going on at Narbonne

sea1

Dec 19, 2003
Head coach was reassigned several weeks ago regarding academic misconduct allegations, is he back yet, anyone in the know?

That's a good question, I haven't seen any news since this became public a couple of weeks ago.

One interesting tidbit in one of the past articles I read said, "two people associated with the football program confirmed that players were called into the school library on Thursday, had their cellphones taken and were asked questions about the program. The phones were immediately returned afterward."

I read that same article Dave, I can't find anything new. That program being flooded with elite D1 transfers the past few years was going to raise some eye brows. They reloaded again with 4 power 5 guys.

Interesting, ya; on the street even, it's pretty quiet what is
going on about it - usually when it's this long,it's not good.

Eric Sondheimer had this to say in a July 13 article in the LA Times:

"Harbor City Narbonne continues to play this summer without head coach Manuel Douglas, who has been reassigned by the Los Angeles Unified School District pending the outcome of a district investigation. His assistants continue to do an admirable job keeping the program focused under interim coach Joe Aguirre, but everyone is waiting to see if Douglas will make it back by the time fall practice officially begins at the end of the month."

That situation is really interesting to watch in the next month because they will open up the season in some national top 25 rankings. They have a loaded roster full of Division 1 guys and open up their season live on ESPN on August 24th at Buchanan of Clovis, a showcase of them and their opponents 5-star running back Kendall Milton.

Head coach was reassigned several weeks ago regarding academic misconduct allegations, is he back yet, anyone in the know?

No, he’s not back. If the rumors are true he won’t be back. Allegations are a lot more than academic misconduct.

I'm hearing the same thing on the street, rumors galore, but an investigation
like this,taking this long is not good, might involve past and current players,
the school principal was even reassigned as the investigation continues, doesn't look good for the parties involved...

Reactions: MURVALDAD
Hmm, new reports say the LAUSD brought in a new principal, vice
principal in charge of athletes and a new AD, this is not looking good
for the program at large, apparently it involves academic fraud, is
this over several years and teams,could Narbonne have to forfeit
a slew of games and championships?

...usually when changes like this are made, well - you get the picture.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dave Keefer
Yeah, this sounds pretty bad. I just hope the kids involved learn a lesson and get good guidance going forward.

I agree wholesale changes show their was a few problems. There are tons of rumors out there such as the scandal is why Narbonne had a player not appear on the fall roster of the Division 1 school he signed with in February due to academics.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT