ADVERTISEMENT

The Ocean League post week 3, and week 4 preview

gvgrizzlyfan

Aug 15, 2005
Lawndale continues to be the class of the Ocean League and for good reason. They walloped Leuzinger 63-6. But Leuzinger is just not the high level opponent they were without the graduation of Kaymen Cureton. They are now playing at the level they would normally play at without such a star player. Here is a link to the DailyBreeze article on the Lawndale game vs Leuzinger: http://www.dailybreeze.com/sports/2...dale-routs-leuzinger-carson-edges-westchester

You would think that after Lawndale has played St. Bonaventure, Crespi and Leuzinger in their first 3 weeks that you would call them battle tested, but all three programs are having serious down years in comparison to their prior level of performance. So that leaves this week's game at LA City San Pedro (3-1) as their biggest test of the preseason. SP had 3 soft opponents to open their season, then lost 56-42 to Downey (3-1), a team that rates comparable to Lawndale. The game with Downey was tied at 35-35 after 3 quarters.

San Pedro has not scored less than 42 points in each of their 4 games and Lawndale has only given up 13 in 3 games. Something's gotta give. Pedro was susceptible to both the run and the pass against a good Downey team. I doubt SP can stop superstar RB Jordan Wilmore and if star Lawndale QB Jalen Hamler is effective providing just enough passing offense to prevent any lockdown on Wilmore, then this one will be done.

How about a projection of a 48-28 Lawndale victory.

Culver City, see my separate preview. Click here: http://bit.ly/CentaursWk4Preview

The El Segundo Eagles continued to impress, beating Mira Costa 21-6. The Mustangs should have been motivated to take the win after losing to the Eagles last year but El Segundo was able to stymie the Mustang's passing attack, leaving them with only their ground game to work with. Mira Costa only converted 1 of 11 third downs. With the help of a Danny McEntee kickoff return for a TD, El Segundo was able to pull out this tight defensive battle that was just 7-6 at one point. See the Daily Breeze link for more details: http://www.dailybreeze.com/sports/20170915/el-segundo-football-team-stifles-mira-costa

Hawthorne (4-0) continues their win streak as expected. They beat Bernstein (1-3) easily 49-12. It was 37-6 at the half. Senior Hawthorne QB Joshua Robledo combined 2 passing and 3 rushing TD's to lead his team. Robledo had 209 yards rushing on just 8 carries while junior RB J. Taylor III had 107 yards on 7 carries. Finally Hawthorne faces a tough test this week. They face Leuzinger. The Leuzinger game may have looked a lot tougher at the beginning of the year but, while Hawthorne is still the under dog, the teams rate close enough that an upset might be possible. At any rate, I do not expect another blow out by Hawthorne.

I will project a 24-19 Leuzinger victory.

The Santa Monica Vikings (0-4) finally took on an opponent at a level in which they could compete but still came away with a 12-26 loss to Dana Hills (1-3). It was interesting to see that the Vikings have opened up into a spread offense. I could have sworn they were a wing-T, or some run variant, at the beginning of the season.

This week gets even better for the Vikings as they take on their most winnable game in the preseason against South Torrance (0-3). The teams are comparably rated. Junior Rodney Crayton, #2, looks like he might be the Vikings' best player.

I will project a 35-34 Viking victory.

Beverly Hills (0-4) got to play 2 weeks of exciting competitive football losing 14-19 two weeks ago, then just 16-20 to Cerritos (1-3) in what was likely their best opportunity at a win this season. It gets tougher the rest of the way. While Peninsula (2-2) of Palos Verdes is not considered a top echelon program, they will be the second toughest opponent BH has faced in the preseason and I don't think BH can compete at the Peninsula level. Peninsula does not appear to be a team that will be merciful to weaker opponents (they beat Sotomayer 72-6 this year),

I will project a very generous 7-42 loss for BH.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dave Keefer
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT