ADVERTISEMENT

Governor's Classic Results of the Holiday Basketball Classic from Rancho Buena Vista HS

dawrestling

May 20, 2007
By David A. Willauer-Contributing Writer-Thursday, December 30, 2021

7th and 8th place game

Vista 58 Canyon Crest 47 Vista performers as they finish in 7th place. Benji Hilstock 28 Cyprian Hyde 18 Canyon Crest Miguel Vasquez 13 Elijah Privani 10 Guy Rousseau 9

5th and 6th place game

Ayala 55 Bishop 47

Bishop performers Nick Clotfelter 23 points Tyler Hagen 10 points Luke Ball 9

3rd and 4th place game

Victory Christian 53 Lincoln 50

Victory Christian performers Mehki Sutton 19 Vin Signarelli 16

Otay Ranch defeats Rancho Buena Vista for Governors Cup

The Mustangs of Otay Ranch behind Percy Whitaker's 21 points as he was named to the All Tournament Team along with MVP Elijah Newsom's 16 points defeated the Rancho Buena Vista Longhorns by a 64-54 win.

Otay Ranch Head Boys Basketball Coach David Kulowitch on the win: "Last time Otay Ranch won a basketball title was 2011 over 10 years but I am proud of our squad as we matured and found good players that know what their responsibilities on this basketball team are." "Percy Whittaker is going to be a guy that you will hear as he uses skills every game by rebound the ball well."" Elijah Newsome is our engine is very fast on the court and will go for another higher level as he battled through the game in the first half our team had trouble with RBV's shooting in the second half he improved well on defense."

Percy Whitaker led the Mustangs with 21 points: "Our passes worked well as we put the ball in the hole." "We had trouble pressing RBV as their shots were perfect so we decided to go to a zone press to have then turn the ball over a lot, that was the key to the game was out defense." "Momentum played well for my teammates." Next year all of our guys are going to be seniors I don't see anyone stopping us."

Elijah Newsome with 16 points and was named the MVP of the Governors Division of the Holiday Basketball Classic "In the second half we played hard, follow the tempo and follow what our coach says which were the factors of the game." "Chemistry is how we have played hard today and earned the win."

RBV was led by Jesse Snyder with 20 and Takoma Rosario contributed with 15.

Reactions: Dave Keefer
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT